THIN LIZZY & PHIL LYNOTT

Les artistes du présent ou du passé : débats, albums/carrière, découvertes...

Modérateurs : Modérateurs du forum, Responsables / Animateurs de sections

Votre album préféré de Thin Lizzy?

Thin Lizzy (1971)
Aucun vote
Shades of A Blue Orphanage (1972)
Aucun vote
Vagabonds of the Western World (1973)
Aucun vote
Nightlife (1974)
Aucun vote
Fighting (1975)
Aucun vote
Jailbreak (1976)
21%
Johnny the Fox (1976)
5%
Bad Reputation (1977)
5%
Black Rose (1979)
5%
Chinatown (1980)
16%
Renegade (1981)
21%
Thunder and Lightning (1983)
26%

Nombre total de votes : 19

Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Dernier message de la page précédente :

Pas si terrible finalement la tracklist du Still Dangerous, seulement 10 titres dont 2 qui ne figuraient pas sur Live and Dangerous.
Sortie le 3 mars.
VH1 Classic Records has set a March 3, 2009 release date for THIN LIZZY's "Still Dangerous: Live At The Tower Theater Philadelphia 1977". This newly discovered live album, featuring the quintessential LIZZY lineup — Phil Lynott, lead vocals/bass; Scott Gorham, guitar; Brian Robertson, guitar; Brian Downey, drums — showcases the band at the height of its prodigious powers.

THIN LIZZY roared out of the 1969 Dublin, Ireland pub scene. Their sound was crystallized in the 1976 anthem "The Boys Are Back In Town". With Lynott's intricate wordplay and those two lead guitarists, a template for '70s hard rock was cast in stone. In 1978, they released "Live And Dangerous", thought to be one of the all-time great live rock albums.

Seen as a companion volume, the new live album contains two songs not found on "Live And Dangerous" — "Soldier Of Fortune" and "Opium Trail" — alongside such Lynott-authored classics as "Dancing In The Moonlight", "Jailbreak" and "Don't Believe A Word". This long-lost concert CD pulled legendary producer Glyn Johns (LED ZEPPELIN, THE ROLLING STONES) out of retirement to remix and remaster.

Guitarist Gorham remembers the discovery of these tapes: "We pulled all these boxes down, and I didn't even realize how many we had! There were a hell of a lot. One of the engineers was cataloging each reel, and one box came up marked 'Philadelphia 2.' That kinda stuck because I remembered Philadelphia but didn't know what the '2' meant. Then it hit me. What had happened, on that particular leg of the King Biscuit tour, before we actually started the tour proper, we were asked to come out and do the radio show. We were uncomfortable because we wanted to do a few warm-up shows before we went [on the air live] so we struck a deal. We said we'll go in and do this show for you if you only simulcast four songs, and let us come back in a few weeks time and do the whole show. They agreed. This tape is that second show coming back through Philadelphia where we were ready to go out and conquer America.

"We were gambling," continues Gorham. "Phil liked to do that. Listening to this record really takes me back to that time. Phil would say, 'Let's start with this and then do that.' He was very cool and loved to get out there and shake it up a bit and see the audience reaction. It got kind of scary at points, but it was a fun thing to do."

Road-testing these songs prior to the release of the "Bad Reputation" album, THIN LIZZY sounds confident on "Still Dangerous", bursting at the seams with innovations and ideas that would harness its spectacular powers–powers that would ultimately be emulated by generations of bands since.

"Still Dangerous: Live At The Tower Theater Philadelphia 1977" track listing:

01. Soldier Of Fortune
02. Jailbreak
03. Cowboy Song
04. The Boys Are Back In Town
05. Dancing In The Moonlight
06. Massacre
07. Opium Trail
08. Don't Believe A Word
09. Baby Makes Me Cry
10. Me And The Boys
I'm the lost one chasing colors to the sun
Colors bleed but never fade
Mars Eye
Black Stone Wielder
Black Stone Wielder

Message par Mars Eye »

This newly discovered live album, featuring the quintessential LIZZY lineup — Phil Lynott, lead vocals/bass; Scott Gorham, guitar; Brian Robertson, guitar; Brian Downey, drums — showcases the band at the height of its prodigious powers.
Je suis à fond d'accord avec ça. Même si Black Rose avec Moore était excellent, pour moi le vrai Lizzy restera celui de Nightlife à Live & Dangerous. Les périodes Eric Bell, Snowy White ou John Sykes restent pour moi un ton en dessous...
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Ce qui est le cas de la plupart des fans du groupe je pense, mais en même temps ces guitaristes ne sont restés que pour un seul album à chaque fois (hormis Eric Bell), donc ces line-up n'ont pas eu le temps de se développer sur la durée contrairement au line-up "classique". Et si par exemple Gary Moore était resté plus longtemps, ça se trouve j'aurais préféré le line-up avec lui...
C'est aussi cette diversité (ou valse :D) de guitaristes qui ajoute à la richesse de leur répertoire. :guitare:
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Apparemment Scott Gorham aurait mis la main sur pas mal de vieilles bandes inconnues ou tombées dans l'oubli, ça promet encore d'autres exhumations du genre de Still Dangerous :
Guitarist Scott Gorham,who relaunched the band in 1996 as a tribute to former bass player and singer Phil Lynott, is hoping the stash of recently discovered tapes that contained the upcoming "Still Dangerous" masters will yield even more archival treasures.

"There's so much of it in there," Gorham tells Billboard.com about the collection of material found in a London vault. "I was actually surprised by the amount. When I got to the "Still Dangerous" stuff I got stopped in my tracks and started concentrating on that, but I'm going to go back in to see what else is there."

In addition to live shows, Gorham expects to find some unreleased Thin Lizzy studio sessions. "There has to be stuff in there," he says. "I don't remember us having a while shitload of outtakes, but there's stuff that didn't get finished or didn't get on this album or that album. It just takes the will to get into the studio and start digging deep into this catalog of stuff you haven't heard in years. I'm gonna do that, just see what this little goldmine is holding."

The "Still Dangerous" tape, which was remixed and remastered by Glyn Johns, was found in a box marked "Philadelphia 2", which contained a tape made for the King Biscuit Flower Hour - actually the group's second performance for the show on its Bad Reputation tour. Thin Lizzy let King Biscuit record the first night of the trek with the caveat that it would also tape another show once the group had been on the road and warmed up a little."
Dark Avenger
Fan de Gojira et Pantera
Fan de Gojira et Pantera

Message par Dark Avenger »

Everflow a écrit :Ce qui est le cas de la plupart des fans du groupe je pense, mais en même temps ces guitaristes ne sont restés que pour un seul album à chaque fois (hormis Eric Bell), donc ces line-up n'ont pas eu le temps de se développer sur la durée contrairement au line-up "classique".
2 albums(et pas des moindres) pour Snowy White...
Ad Metal Eternam a écrit :Clair ! Et puis Thrashos a le truc qui fait les vrais thrasheux et que n'auront jamais les donneurs de leçons pseudo-élitistes qui croient tout savoir: il est sympa :yeah:
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Ah oui 2 albums pour White, c'était pour voir si quelqu'un suivait :D
Mais là encore ce line-up avait encore du potentiel à explorer je pense, il aurait fallu lui laisser quelques années supplémentaires.
Nathagnôle
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Nathagnôle »

BROCAS HELM qui reprend "emerald"!!!!!!!!!!! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

C'est sympa de les voir reprendre ce morceau. Mais à une seule guitare ça perd quand même de son intérêt.
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Pas indispensable, mais pour l'anecdote une compilation solo de Phil Lynott va sortir, avec quelques faces B :
Late THIN LIZZY frontman PHIL LYNOTT's Yellow Pearl - A Collection will be released in the UK on August 16th via Spectrum Audio/Universal Music.

According to a press release, Yellow Pearl: A Collection brings you a delightful and intriguing trip into the solo work of Phil Lynott. It's guaranteed to hold the listener spellbound as they realise just how iconic Lynott was - and still is.

The release brings together the hits singles from both solo albums, Solo In Soho and The Philiip Lynott Album, including 'King's Call' (a tribute to ELVIS PRESLEY), 'Dear Miss Lonely Hearts' and major hit 'Yellow Pearl' which reached number 14 in the UK charts and also became the theme for BBC TV's Top Of The Pops show.

Also included is 'Parisienne Walkways', released as a single by GARY MOORE in 1978, reaching number eight in the UK charts. Written by Lynott – as well as featuring him on vocals – it remains a stand alone classic.

There's also B sides to the singles 'Together' and 'Old Town' (also included), these being 'Somebody Else's Dream' and 'Beat Of The Drum' respectively and his last solo single, 1985's 'Nineteen', released just a few weeks before his tragic death on January 4th, 1986.

"My aim isn't to surprise people, but maybe to surprise myself"; Phil Lynott reflects whillst recording Solo In Soho, which comfortably reached the UK Top 30. The result was impressive, impassioned and imposing, an album that was a personal statement from one of the most original talents in the rock world. A musical hero, a master songwriter, a majestic singer, a monarch on bass - the proof is here that the whole was so much greater than the sum of these parts.

Yellow Pearl - A Collection tracklisting:

'Yellow Pearl' (Second 7" Remix)
'Dear Miss Lonely Hearts'
'King's Call'
'A Child's Lullaby'
'Tattoo (Giving It All Up For Love)'
'Solo In Soho'
'Girls'
'Ode To A Black Man'
'Together' (Album Version)
'Fatalistic Attitude'
'The Man's A Fool'
'Old Town'
'Cathleen'
'Little Bit Of Water'
'Ode To Liberty (The Protest Song)'
'Somebody Else's Dream'
'Beat Of The Drum'
'Nineteen' (Extended Version)
'Parisienne Walkways'
'Yellow Pearl' (First Version)
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Scott Gorham annonce que les albums du groupe vont être remixés et remasterisés. Par le chanteur de Def Leppard. :hein:
Il veut les rendre plus heavy et plus à l'image du groupe sur scène, mais j'espère que la dynamique d'origine ne sera pas sacrifiée comme dans tant de remasters actuels...
Rob Laing of U.K.'s Guitarist magazine recently conducted an interview with legendary THIN LIZZY axeman Scott Gorham. An excerpt from the chat follows below.

Guitarist: There's been talk of remastered and remixed versions of the classic LIZZY albums for the last few years. Is it going to happen?

Scott Gorham: "Well, I've been talking to the guys at Universal — it's called a deluxe album where you get the original remastered and the second disc will either be the whole album remixed or tracks cherry-picked off for that treatment. I'm actually talking to [DEF LEPPARD frontman] Joe Elliott about going into his studio and doing it there in Dublin. We've been talking about that for a few years and now Universal is onboard it's now a matter of finalizing all the costs to do it."

Guitarist: Do you know when they might surface — this or next year?

Scott Gorham: "We want to get in this year and start the remixes. We want to get onto it as soon as possible, especially since we've got free time now."

Guitarist: Do you feel that LIZZY never really captured their live dynamic on record?

Scott Gorham: "Absolutely. For some reason the kind of band that we were we could never really capture that in the studio and I'm not quite sure why that is. I'd hear the energy of the guys and how we're playing at that point in the rehearsal then we'd go in to record those same songs and to me it sounds like a fucking cocktail album! We missed the boat. Especially on the 'Nightlife' album — I'd like to cherry-pick a fair few of those songs and re-do them now. You keep Phil and keep his bass parts but see what we could do now — see what the songs turn out like now."
jesus
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Message par jesus »

thin lizzy sonne très bien sur les albums. plus heavy ? y'a qu'à écouter les live et pis c'est tout ! sinon moi si je devrais en choisir un seul je pense que ce serait black rose mais dur d'en choisir qu'un seul. un de mes groupes préférés des 70s, phil avait une de ses voix... magique !
Ad Metal Eternam
Warrior en pyjama
Warrior en pyjama

Message par Ad Metal Eternam »

Mon préféré pour l'instant est Black Rose également. J'ai aussi un faible pour Chinatown :)
"Ma mère ?! Vous voulez dire que j’aurais un ticket avec ma mère ?! Oh, dur, c’est pas le pied !
- Encore ? Mais qu'est-ce que c’est que ces histoires de pieds ? Les pieds seraient-ils le point sensible des hommes du futur ? C’est peut-être dû à un accroissement de l'apesanteur...
- Quoi ???"
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

jesus a écrit :thin lizzy sonne très bien sur les albums. plus heavy ? y'a qu'à écouter les live et pis c'est tout ! sinon moi si je devrais en choisir un seul je pense que ce serait black rose mais dur d'en choisir qu'un seul. un de mes groupes préférés des 70s, phil avait une de ses voix... magique !
Ouais Gorham regrette depuis longtemps que le son des albums studio ne reflète pas le groupe sur scène, techniquement il a sans doute raison mais en même temps une chanson comme "Dancing in the Moonlight" n'a absolument pas besoin d'être plus heavy pour être une bonne chanson, au contraire même je dirais. Leur répertoire ne se limite pas qu'aux chansons hard ou heavy, je pense que ça serait dommage d'appliquer le même relief sonore à d'autres morceaux dont ce n'est pas l'intérêt, et j'espère qu'ils vont prendre cet aspect en compte dans ces prochains remixes, plutôt que de tout pousser à fond.
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Dans la rubrique faits divers, Philomena, la médiatique mère de Phil Lynott, a reconnu l'existence du fils de Phil Lynott, qui a quand même 41 ans maintenant. :euh: C'est pas précisé si Phil était lui-même au courant de son existence, il a été adopté par une autre famille à la naissance. Sur la photo on reconnait bien la filiation.
En fait c'est une vraie saga mélo-dramatique la famille Lynott, avec les enfants cachés, adoptés, puis les secrets révélés des décennies plus tard...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 72443.html

Tony Le Pouilleux
True Warrior in Bermuda of Steel
True Warrior in Bermuda of Steel

Message par Tony Le Pouilleux »

Il a un petit air Yacine aussi je dirais.

Au fait, pourquoi tout cette saga pour un fils illégitime quand le père en était lui-même un? :scratch:
Le G@SP a écrit :j'ai pas tout compris non plus mais l'important c'est que ce soit dans les fesses!
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Ben justement peut-être parce que Phil Lynott était lui-même un "fils illégitime" et que ça a énormément bouleversé la vie de sa mère jusqu'à ce jour. Une irlandaise blanche avec un enfant noir dans les années 50, hors mariage qui plus est, ce fut très difficile pour elle à assumer, elle a dû endurer le rejet, la pauvreté et le racisme quotidiens.
Ses mémoires avec son histoire et celle de Phil sont depuis devenues un best seller en Irlande. Mais elle avait omis de préciser qu'elle a eu 2 autres enfants dans des "affaires" avec des pères différents, une fille blanche et un autre fils noir/métis. Elle a été obligée de donner ces 2 autres enfants à l'adoption car elle n'avait pas les moyens de les nourrir et les garder avec elle, sans que sa propre mère ne soit jamais au courant de ces naissances jusqu'à sa mort! Ces enfants ont été révélés par Philomena tout récemment alors que ça date de 60 ans maintenant, cela prouve l'étendue du malaise...
A cela il faut ajouter que Phil n'a vu qu'une seule fois son père biologique après sa petite enfance, et je ne sais pas s'il a déjà vu sa demi-soeur même s'il était au courant de son existence. Il n'a jamais su pour l'existence de son demi-frère, et a priori pour son fils "illégitime" non plus. Dur.

Quand on regarde l'histoire troublée de sa mère et de la famille Lynott en général, avec toutes ces douleurs du passé enfouies dans un vieux contexte de tabous et d'ostracisme, ça peut expliquer qu'il y ait beaucoup de secrets qui mettent très longtemps à sortir.
STEELER
Powerslave
Powerslave

Message par STEELER »

Trop dur de voter...J'ai tous leurs albums depuis "Night Life", et je les aime tous. A l'instar de QUEEN, c'est un groupe qui proposait une musique si riche, qu'il est difficile de choisir. La voix est toujours aussi chaleureuse, les guitares aussi rayonnantes. J'ai finalement appuyé sur "CHINATOWN"...parce que c'est l'album que j'écoute en ce moment. Il est bien Rock, et il y a de superbes parties de batterie, et tous ces soli de gratte. Quel groupe !
Fall to your Knees and Repent if you Please
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Pas mieux que toi. :bow:

Tiens puisque tu parles de Chinatown et pour ceux qui se demandent ce qu'est devenu Snowy White, après avoir accompagné Roger Waters il y a quelques années il a désormais un projet blues.

http://www.myspace.com/snowywhitebluesproject
During a 40 year career that most guitarists would kill for Snowy White has played all over the world, either with his own first class bands or with top level acts such as THIN LIZZY and PINK FLOYD. Snowy’s blues-inspired guitar sound and feel is totally unique and the tasteful, emotional licks that he squeezes from his vintage Les Paul Gold Top put him in a peer group of classic British guitarists that includes his old friends PETER GREEN and DAVID GILMOUR.

Following the hugely acclaimed two year world tour of Dark Side Of The Moon with Roger Waters which finished in 2007, Snowy began a rediscovery of his blues roots, and together with long term collaborator Juan Van Emmerloot on drums, Matt Taylor as the perfect guitar foil, and Ruud Weber Jr. on bass, commenced the recordings which turned into the current SNOWY WHITE BLUES PROJECT and produced the album In Our Time Of Living. All three front-men share lead vocals and the band has a great dynamic, from the raunchy 'One Way Ticket' to the subtle acoustic picking of the SKIP JAMES classic 'I'm So Glad', borrowing from the original idiom.??Since getting together in 2008 The Snowy White Blues Project has played in the UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, Holland, Belgium, Poland, Italy, Greece, Romania and Israel. In January 2010 drummer Juan Van Emmerloot left the band to concentrate on production work and was replaced by the very talented Roy Martin, a veteran of the French superstar PATRICIA KAAS' band, who has also recently worked with THEA GILMORE and BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST among many others. The new line up has recorded a new live album, In Our Time... Live, to be released in the UK, Europe and North America in September 2010. September also sees Snowy taking to the road again with Roger Waters on The Wall Live tour with dates in over 30 cities in the USA and Canada, with a European tour to follow in 2011. More SWBP dates are planned for later in 2011.

In Our Time… Live, captures the band at full power on the twelfth of a fourteen date European tour at one of their favourite venues, De Boerderij (The Farm), Zoetermeer, Holland, in February 2010, to a packed house of music lovers, many of whom had been curious to check out Snowy’s new band at the same venue the previous May, then returned in February as whole-hearted fans. The dynamic set list is heavy with original songs from the studio album but also includes several gems from Snowy’s earlier career, including Peter Green’s 'Long Grey Mare' and 'World Keep On Turning', a new arrangement of Snowy’s own 'Land of Plenty', and an acoustic section, with Matt Taylor getting a lot of help from the audience on SONNY TERRY & BROWNIE MCGEE’s 'Walk On', plus FREDDIE KING’s classic 'Woman Across The River', which sees Snowy and Matt guitar duelling, Gibson versus Fender, almost to the death!

It is plain to see that In Our Time… Live is a recording made by four musicians who love nothing more than to play together. Roy Martin’s solid-as-a-rock groove, Ruud Weber Jr’s soulful vocals and bass and Matt Taylor’s electrifying guitar work perfectly complement Snowy’s emotive and beautifully nuanced playing and allow him to sit back and play the music that inspired him to pick up a guitar in the first place – the blues.
STEELER
Powerslave
Powerslave

Message par STEELER »

J'ai vu Snowy White en 80 pour la tournée "The Wall" du FLOYD. C'est sûr, ça assurait bien. J'aime beaucoup son travail avec THIN LIZZY, par contre, je ne suis pas "bluesy"...(je rate peut-être quelque chose). :scratch:
Gaëtan
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par Gaëtan »

Marrant les résultats du sondage : plus c'est récent, plus les gens aiment.
Pas très metal ça. :diable: :diable:

Moi je suis pas super fan des trois premiers. Je passe un super moment en les écoutant, et je les ai beaucoup écoutés, mais j'en retiens jamais rien, c'est marrant. Je découvre ces albums à chaque écoute, à part trois ou quatre morceaux dont je me rappelle qu'en les écoutant.

La suite est époustouflante, même s'il y a toujours des morceaux un peu space dans le lot.
Les lives sont fantastiques, faut absolument voir les vidéos, ça met sur le cul, vraiment.
La vie est une pute, mais l'alcool c'est bien.
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Gaëtan a écrit :Marrant les résultats du sondage : plus c'est récent, plus les gens aiment.
Pas très metal ça. :diable: :diable:
C'est assez logique dans un sens, puisque Thunder and Lightning est leur album le plus "metal". Même si c'est pas forcément le plus représentatif ou le plus créatif. Pour d'autres albums il faut aimer le son et l'approche rock 70's. C'est un peu la même chose pour Painkiller, dans un autre registre.
STEELER
Powerslave
Powerslave

Message par STEELER »

Tout à fait d'accord. Pour qqu'un qui a découvert THIN LIZZY avec "Thunder...", les 1ers albums peuvent être assez déconcertants.
De même qu'il y a une "distance" entre le PRIEST de "Painkiller" et le Metal très épuré (mais ô combien efficace !) des premiers albums. J'ai remarqué que c'est le 1er disque d'un groupe que l'on découvre qui marque le plus. Cela m'a fait cet effet avec Spock's Beard, que j'ai découvert au milieu de leur carrière.
olivier64
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par olivier64 »

Dur de choisir le meilleur. Je suis pourtant un grand fan de THIN LIZZY, mais je dois dire qu'il n'ont jamais fait l''Album parfait, il y toujours 1 ou 2 morceaux de remplissage. Mais il y a quand même plusieurs albums exceptionnels et un talent énorme à chaque note. Et cette classe de tous les instants, je ne compte les groupes la possédant que sur les doigts d'une main : THIN LIZZY, UFO, BLUE OYSTER CULT, LED ZEPPELIN et les ALLMAN BROTHERS avec Duane.

Mais comme il faut voter, je choisis Johnny the Fox, parce qu'il est moins connu mais meilleur à mes yeux (et à mes oreilles) que Jailbreak et Bad Reputation. Et la pochette est sublime. Et il y a dessus Johnny, Borderline, Massacre, Don't Believe a Word, ... :amour:
olivier64
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par olivier64 »

Et pour ceux qui ne connaissent pas ou peu, le coffret 4CD "Vagabonds Kings Warriors Angels" est indispensable, et fait office de très bon résumé de la carrière de THIN LIZZY (même si on trouvera toujours qu'il manque tel ou tel morceau), avec en plus une dizaine de morceaux rares, inédits ou de faces B de singles. Et chez Amazon.fr, il est disponible pour 25 ou 30 euros port compris. ;)
Modifié en dernier par olivier64 le 01 nov. 2010, 21:56, modifié 1 fois.
STEELER
Powerslave
Powerslave

Message par STEELER »

Au fait, que deviennent les autres membres du groupe? Pour Snowy White, on sait, mais pour les autres.Scott Gorham, Brian Downey...
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Ben Scott Gorham joue toujours depuis au moins 10 ans dans la version actuelle et "tribute band officiel" de Thin Lizzy, et Brian Downey a récemment réintégré le groupe, alors que John Sykes en est parti. Il y a un topic sur le line-up actuel dans la partie Revelations. ;)
Brian Robertson poursuit une carrière solo très discrète, il a l'air d'avoir des problèmes de santé, au contraire de Gary Moore (qui avait Downey dans son groupe il y a quelques temps).
Répondre