Ihsahn : nouveaux EP

L'actualité brulante du Metal traditionnel et de tout ce qui gravite autour.

Modérateurs : Modérateurs du forum, Responsables / Animateurs de sections

Répondre
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Le premier plus metal, le second plus progressif.
EMPEROR frontman Ihsahn will release "Telemark", the first of two new five-song EPs, on February 14 via Candlelight. The effort will represent the heavier side of Ihsahn's music, while the companion EP — to be released at a later date — will show his more progressive side.

"Telemark" track listing:

01. Stridig
02. Nord
03. Telemark
04. Rock And Roll Is Dead (LENNY KRAVTIZ cover)
05. Wrathchild (IRON MAIDEN cover)

The official music video for "Stridig" can be seen below.

"Having released full-length records nearly every second year since I was 16, I felt it might be time to try something else," Ihsahn, whose real name is Vegard Sverre Tveitan, told U.K.'s Prog magazine. "Also, I wanted to approach what I do in a way that felt natural but also to try to adapt it to the way that music is now performed and experienced. I have seven solo albums out now, so the first EP is like a small recap, in a way. I did touch on some of the same thematics with 'Arktis', but this time it's closer to home, both musically and, dare I say, culturally."

He continued: "The plan is to then follow up this EP with its aesthetic and musical counterpart, wherein I can distil all those more progressive, experimental and mellow elements of my music. Ultimately, it's all a means for me to get some of those ideas out of my system, giving myself space before I delve into the next album."

Regarding the "Telemark" title, Ihsahn said: "It's the county I grew up in and still live in, so the whole thing is situated there and very much inspired by that. So you could say it's a roots-orientated album. I decided early on that I wanted this to be very purely related to black metal aesthetics. I wanted to distil the basic, bare bones black metal influences of my musical roots, given the overall concept, writing something for and from Telemark. I decided to do Norwegian lyrics for the first time, too. It feels very much closer to home in many ways."

Ihsahn spends most of his time touring and recording as a solo artist, while continuing to support EMPEROR's legacy with live reunion shows every few years,

I'm the lost one chasing colors to the sun
Colors bleed but never fade
demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Ihsahn : 2 nouveaux EP

Message par demes »

Très bon ça ! :bang:

Un titre particulièrement rageur aussi bien dans le chant d'Ihsahn qui a un coté "films d'horreur" sympa que dans les riffs que je trouve novateurs avec une partie calme bien placée et cohérente au milieu.
ChaNoir a écrit :Merde on n´est pas venus pour voir Chantal Goya en perfecto!
Metalrunner a écrit :Je sais je suis un thrasheur romantique et fragile :D
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Re: Ihsahn : nouveaux EP

Message par Everflow »

Le EP suivant, incluant une reprise de A-HA avec son beau-frère de LEPROUS.
Shapeshifting progressive metal pioneer Ihsahn has once again pushed the boundaries of unconstrained creation — this time with the release of his striking single/video tribute to Norwegian pop pioneers A-HA.

He has shared the video for his cover of the band's "Manhattan Skyline", which appears on his new EP, "Pharos", out September 11 via Candlelight Records. The version features the phenomenal vocal talents of Einar Solberg of LEPROUS.

"Manhattan Skyline" was originally released by A-HA in 1986 and reached No. 13 in the U.K. singles chart. With a refresh for 2020, Ihsahn has produced a delicate but true-to-the-original tribute, combining a soft, ballad-like verse that explodes into a bombastic rock chorus featuring all the melodramatic grandeur of the original.

Directed and filmed by Troll Toftenes, the video sees Ihsahn at his most passionate. With the breathtaking landscape of Norway as the backdrop, Ihsahn plays his Aristides T/0 Lilac Pearl Satin guitar atop Gaustatoppen, the highest mountain in Norway, at sunset while Solberg's earnest and emotional vocals soar to otherworldly levels of brilliance.

Ihsahn admits that his love of A-HA is not new, saying, "There are some hints of A-HA even on the second EMPEROR album."

This revelation may frustrate followers of the orthodoxy present within extreme music. But for Ihsahn, he has never worried about being confined to certain expectations.

"I never wanted to be as one-dimensional [with] this black metal image," the artist explains. "When I turned 40, I stopped caring. But if you start out playing black metal when you're 16, it's hardly because you want to be everybody's favorite."

"Pharos" is another triumph for Ihsahn, a polymathic composer who has already leant his iconoclastic spirit to rule-breaking bands and projects. He has yet again woven intricate, sonic landscapes that cement his status as a true musical alchemist. Recorded at his home studio, with additional drums by Tobias Solbakk at Jukes Joint Studio, "Pharos" is musically and conceptually a reverse image of "Telemark" — the first of the two linked EPs, released back in February of this year.

The light to "Telemark"'s dark, "Pharos" features three original compositions and another cover, which is the haunting "Roads", which was originally done by British trip-hop collective PORTISHEAD.

"'Telemark' was everything that was close to my heart: basic guitar riffing, screaming vocals," Ihsahn said. "I thought, 'I need to do a sequel where I do the exact opposite' — things that I don't know how to do, explore sonic territory that I haven't explored."

"Pharos" EP track listing:

01. Losing Altitude
02. Spectre At The Feast
03. Pharos
04. Roads (PORTISHEAD cover)
05. Manhattan Skyline (A-HA cover, featuring Einar Solberg of LEPROUS)

demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

Pour la reprise de A - Ha ça sonne bien, d'autant mieux que Solberg a le même type de voix (j'adore toujours autant la sienne au passage) que Morten Harket. Pourtant je trouve que, comme Wylde avec Black Sabbath ils ont trop singé. En outre je trouve regrettable qu'ils n'aient pas plus lâché les chevaux dans les parties énervées, j'aurai aimé un contraste plus marqué avec les parties calmes, comme Solberg l'a fait avec le titre "Below" du dernier album de Leprous et -je trouve que c'est un comble- comme dans la version originale de A - Ha.

Justement dans le deuxième titre ci - dessus c'est le cas, et ça le rend plus vivant.
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Tu remarqueras quand même qu'Ihsahn et Solberg ont parfaitement respecté la distanciation physique à chaque instant. :D
demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

:lol:

Et je ne savais pas qu'ils étaient beau - frères. :D
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Il continue de sortir des EP, avec des invités.
Norwegian progressive metal pioneer, Ihsahn, returns with his latest release, the Fascination Street Sessions EP, on March 24 via Candlelight Records. Ahead of the EP, Ihsahn has released the first single, "Contorted Monuments". Listen below.

Known as a constantly evolving artist who loves to transcend boundaries, Ihsahn's musical journey has been relentlessly fascinating and frequently revelatory. With his penchant for collaborative projects and fascination with production, this new three-track EP, featuring two new original songs and one cover version, is the direct result of Ihsahn joining forces with URM Academy's online educational program for music production, and producer/engineer Jens Bogren (Opeth, Dimmu Borgir, Arch Enemy, Powerwolf) of Fascination Street Studios.

Comments Ihsahn, "I've been working with Jens and his team for mixing and mastering for over a decade, but this course spans from pre-production to final master, so I wrote some demos and had Jens be involved from the very start."

Joining Ihsahn on this project was his long-time drummer Tobias Ørnes Andersen and keyboardist Øystein Aadland, who spent 10 intense days at Fascination Street Studios recording the songs. Øystein Aadland also adds warm and gentle lead vocals for the track "The Observer," while Jonas Renske of Katatonia recorded guest vocals to the song "Dom Andra," a cover of a track by Swedish band Kent.

Throughout the whole experience, the URM Academy team captured everything on video, with Jens Bogren adding commentary to the production techniques used, with detail on mic placements, preamps, drumhead tunings, sharing his methodology and drilling down into what goes into a recording such as this.

Ihsahn adds, "The idea was to capture high-end recordings of real instruments in great rooms, and we had an amazing setup for drums, guitars, bass, and even a vintage Hammond organ with Leslie, Wurlitzer, Rhodes, etc., recorded through Fender combos and analogue pedals etc."

He continues, "This was an amazing experience, and very educational, as I love everything related to music production. Both the Fascination Street and URM teams were incredible, and I believe everyone involved had a great time, in spite of 14–16 hour workdays. I'm very happy with how everything came together and for those interested in the technical aspects of how it was made, there will be a thorough course coming soon at URM Academy."
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

Je suis mitigé sur "Contorted Monuments", je trouve la mélodie rock "décalée" par rapport au growl d'Ihsahn. En revanche "The Observer" me convient nettement mieux dans les riffs et dans le rythme.
Répondre