Darkthrone - Astral Fortress

L'actualité brulante du Metal traditionnel et de tout ce qui gravite autour.

Modérateurs : Modérateurs du forum, Responsables / Animateurs de sections

Répondre
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Extrait bien doomy.
Astral Fortress, the new studio album from the legendary Darkthrone, will be release on October 28 via Peaceville. With the release only a week away, Darkthrone have released the song “Caravan Of Broken Ghosts”, accompanied by a lyric video filmed by Fenriz and created by Matthew Vickerstaff.

With the song, Fenriz says “there is a revisit vibe of ‘Quintessence’ at first, which is a total coincidence as it is Ted's song and I wrote ‘Q’. The song then explodes into fiercer metal, pounding and catching there as well, with clever riff shifts. And then the classic doom ending. Thank you, Ted."

rom their formation back in 1986, to becoming one of Norway’s finest and enigmatic musical exports (with a number of highly revered black metal masterpieces released in the early 90’s helping to solidify their legacy), Darkthrone has continued to evolve and challenge in equal measure, throughout their illustrious recording career spanning over three decades. And now, the ever-productive duo of Nocturno and Fenriz continue their own metallic saga with a new selection of fine, vintage sounding headbanging classics in the making... Astral Fortress.

This new studio opus is a swift follow-up to 2021’s Eternal Hails opus, as a result of Darkthrone’s consistent and ongoing writing process, which has been in force for some years now. For Darkthrone does not sleep - it only waits.

Carried on the brisk wind of eager rock, with foundations in black, thrash, doom and heavy metal, Astral Fortress is the latest album of stellar, eclectic old metal in the Darkthrone odyssey. With a seemingly endless dungeon full of heavy metal influences channelled through Darkthrone’s dynamic riff-machine, plus also with many increasing inspirations taken from their own past catalogue.

Fenriz comments “As usual, Ted makes music by playing himself and riffs just come to me. I think since 2016's Arctic Thunder, we have mostly been inspired by our own back catalogue. I can hear many of my riffs eventually sounding like a plethora of bands but this seldom seems to correlate with what others hear. As you’ll know by now I never talk about the lyrics or the inspiration behind them and I would never want any lyrics that I like of others to be explained to me but I will tell you this, it is darker than ever, it is seething with hell.”

Even though sprinkled with atmospheric touches such as synthesizers and mellotron on Astral Fortress to great effect, the Darkthrone sound remains stripped down to the core; always primitive and organic. Darkthrone has truly become its own beast within the metal world.

Astral Fortress was recorded at Chaka Khan Studios in Oslo, the same location used for the Eternal Hails album, with Ole Øvstedal and Silje Høgevold.

I'm the lost one chasing colors to the sun
Colors bleed but never fade
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Le groupe sort en parallèle une version démo instrumentale de leur album de 1996, qui devait être initialement leur second album et qui avait été mis de côté pendant plusieurs années :
arkthrone announce the release of a new music output, Goatlord: Original, on the 10th of February through Peaceville Records. It contains tracks from Goatlord album in their original instrumental form, recorded in the band’s rehearsal space (vocals were added in the mid-90’s before an official release came through Moonfog Productions in 1996), with the classic line-up of Gylve ‘Fenris’ Nagell on drums, Ted Skjellum on lead guitar, Ivar Enger on rhythm guitar, and Dag Nilsen on bass. Taken from Fenriz’s original tape source, the songs were mastered by Patrick Engel. Artwork for this release courtesy of renowned artist, Zbigniew M. Bielak.

The intended second album of the Norwegian legends was the title of what was to originally be Darkthrone's second album. The style followed very much in the vein of debut, Soulside Journey, with a mid-paced melodic, yet technical, death metal style. After the full completion of the tracks, however, focus shifted towards black metal and a more primitive style of composition & so the album was shelved, while work commenced on what was to be a black metal milestone, A Blaze In The Northern Sky, which incorporated some parts from the Goatlord tracks.
I'm the lost one chasing colors to the sun
Colors bleed but never fade
Répondre