Therion rock opera : Beloved Antichrist

L'actualité brulante du Metal traditionnel et de tout ce qui gravite autour.

Modérateurs : Modérateurs du forum, Responsables / Animateurs de sections

Répondre
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Christopher Johnsson donne des détails sur son nouveau projet :
Christofer Johnsson of Swedish progressive/experimental metallers THERION has issued the following update:

"The coming rock opera will be about the rise and fall of Antichrist and is inspired by and partly (not to be confused with 'entirely') based on Vladimir Soloviev's 'A Short Story Of The Anti-Christ'.

"I have been attempting to write a regular opera for some years following the same theme (which is now being therionized to fit in with what we are writing for this rock opera). We don't have a name for it yet, but for the time being we could humorously give it the working title 'Antichrist Superstar'.

"We will be performing beta versions of the overture and four excerpts from the opera. An excerpt is a part of something (not to be confused with the concept of a song;) you might consider it torn-out pieces from a puzzle. Here is a list of what we will be performing:

1. 'Overture' - It contains the main theme of the opera and simply has to be played. It's the beta version 0.8 and still has some potential to expand further, but the parts that are already there will likely sound something in the vein of this version.

2. 'End Of The Dynasty' / 'Military March Of The United States Of Europe' - In the book, there is an Asian rule over Europe for 50 years after China and Japan have successfully invaded and occupied the continent. In the end, Europe manages to fight back and drives the occupants back east. 'End Of The Dynasty' is the swan song of the last Asian emperor of this dynasty. The orchestration needs to be worked on a bit more, but the basic idea is there. Musically, it's band and orchestra playing all the time in a very therionish type of manner. The military march is played while the European army marches back. It has not been orchestrated yet, so we will just be performing it in a guitar-based form. But I actually have become quite fond of it this way, so maybe we'll partly keep it like that and just add on some piccolo flute and maybe some brass typical for military orchestras.

3. 'Who's Your God?' - Here Antichrist is being interrogated by some prominent religious people. He is at the time a world leader and by far the most beloved leader of all times. Musically, this is an example of a part where the guitars have a smaller rôle and the focus is very vocally oriented and mostly backed up by orchestra, bass and drums. There's still work to be done on it; there is a need for chorus to perform it live like the composer intended. But you will get a good sense of it.

4. 'Onda Toner' (Swedish for 'evil tonnes') - This is a part that comes fairly soon after 'Who's Your God?', in which there is an outspoken accusation that he is the Antichrist. Making an opera/rock opera on the theme like this without including the famous 'Diabolus In Musica' interval would of course be an epic fail. So in the heat of this very intense moment, you will be enjoying infernal tritones and diminished chords backed up by unusual drumbeats to 3/4 time signatures — for those of you not acquainted with musical terms; it sounds very infernal and weird (in a good way). This part feels quite finished in terms of orchestration and vocal melodies/harmonies. It will require many more singers, when performed as composed later on, however.

5. 'Sad End' - This is a very emotional duet at the end of the opera. I don't want to spoil what happens (the end of our opera will be totally different from the Soloviev book, as it has been completely rewritten), but it involves two important people in the opera having lost everything they fought for and, at the time of dying, they start reflecting on their lives and things they did wrong. The vocal duet is pretty much finished. There will be more stuff added before the duet, but this particular piece will sound at least close to this. Orchestration is quite basic at the moment. We will see if we keep it that way (it is sometimes better) or if we want work more on it.

"The purpose of this tour is to try out some of the parts of the rock opera to see if we're on the right way or not. So we are looking forward to all constructive comments afterwards.

"Before commenting, keep this in mind: Imagine that a movie is about to be filmed and needs film music. They need a death metal song for one scene, a love ballad for another scene and a heavy metal track for the third scene. You're being asked your opinion if they are good songs. Then it's totally useless bombing the movie producer with with opinions like, 'I don't like ballads/death metal' or 'I prefer the heavy metal song because that's my kind of music.' He wants to know if each song is good or not, not what taste you have in terms of music styles. If the movie needs to have a love ballad at a certain place, then it will be a ballad there. And he wants to know if it's a good ballad or not.

"Same thing applies to opinions on what we perform from the opera on this tour. It's totally useless information to us what styles you prefer. The opera needs to have different styles in music when different things happen on stage. You cannot have happy music when there is a sad scene and an army cannot march to just any kind of music. So each type of music needs to be judged for what it is and what it is supposed to be.

"I know this may be a slightly complicated request for many people on Internet who are used to comment off-the-cuff on things they come across on the web, without any deeper reflection or paying any attention to circumstances and facts. But none of those are likely to read this text anyway, so I'm fairly confident at least a majority will be able to supply us with intelligent usable feedback. It's a great bonus if people also make an effort to use their imagination a bit extra and picture how these pieces will sound later with more singers and a real orchestra (obviously we use samples and keyboards to demonstrate this now.) You may consider what you will hear an advanced sketch of something that later will be an oil painting.

"For those of you coming to see us on this tour: there will be an attractive special offer concerning a future release for the fans coming to the concerts. Hint: It could be a good idea to bring 20 euro extra to the show."

THERION last year celebrated its 25th anniversary with the release of a new album, "Les Fleurs Du Mal". The band signed a licensing deal with End Of The Light Records to make the CD available in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

The "Les Fleurs Du Mal" title refers to Charles Baudelaire's (French author and poet 1821 - 1867) famous poem collection "Flowers Of Evil" ("Les Fleurs Du Mal" in French) that caused such an upset of emotions in France that the author was brought to court and got fined for "insulting the public" with six of the poems, that remained forbidden in France until 1949 when the ban was finally lifted. The spirit of the project is a tribute to Baudelaire, and is imbued into both music and artwork.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/therio ... xyLdrom.99
I'm the lost one chasing colors to the sun
Colors bleed but never fade
Le G@SP
Poulpe névrosé
Poulpe névrosé

Message par Le G@SP »

S'il se donne les moyens et qu'il fait un autre prêt à la banque, Christofer Johnson peut proposer quelque chose d'intéressant :up:
Viva, viva, viva the Blues / In Aztec land they will play like gods / Viva, viva, viva the blues / The sombreros will have eyes just for them / REMEMBER... =T=
Mc Brain
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par Mc Brain »

Y'aura Sheila?
Gaëtan: "Reste plus qu'à interdire les citations dans les signatures... "
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Les choses se précisent : triple CD et 29 chanteurs :mad:
The last Therion news piece was quite concerning as mastermind Christofer Johnsson was dealing with two spinal disc herniations in his neck and could've ended up never being able to play on stage again. Fortunately, the band has good news to share now. According to their latest update, Johnsson is doing much better now. In fact, they have been recording a new album, titled Beloved Antichrist, which consists of 3 full-length CDs and shall be released in 2018.

The label wrote: "When 15 year old prodigy Christofer Johnsson founded Therion as a death metal band in 1987, little did he know that exactly 30 years later he would put the final touches to a project that will go down in history as symphonic metal's most ambitious release. While 'metal operas' are no longer an unusual creation, this term will forever receive a new meaning on January 26th, 2018, when the curtain opens for Johnsson's lifelong creation: Beloved Antichrist is the title of his spectacular brainchild, consisting of 3 full-length CDs and is more than just a concept album, but a complete rock opera with multiple chapters, unveiling a sweeping story partly based on and inspired by Vladímir Soloviov "A Short Tale Of The Antichrist".

"With an incredible total of 29 different roles and characters, who all required a unique voice, Therion hired not only a big choir, but also 29 vocalists to bring the epic story to life. With long-time collaborators like Thomas Vikström, Lori Lewis and Chiara Malvestiti, fans will hear the classical Therion vibe but also be able to drown in a magical maelstrom of many new as well as familiar voices. Divided into several chapters, the opera reaches a full length of 3 and a half hours and Therion are currently working on the possibility of bringing the entire production to the stage. And while this monumental undertaking still simmers away in the Swedish production halls, the band has announced a pan-European tour where they will perform some of their new masterpieces live in a classical concert setting. Support comes from Russia's symphonic metallists Imperial Age and Germany's Null Positiv.

"Don't miss this new milestone in the history of symphonic metal and witness this dramatic staging of the apocalypse and all those brave, sinister and fascinating characters heading towards the end of it all."
Pierre
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par Pierre »

ça va être énorme :bang: :rock:
Franky a écrit :j'ai voté pour toi, car en plus d'être un crétin (comme Gasp), tu es malfaisant. :oui:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU-q2ZQi10Q
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

La pochette est moins ambitieuse que le reste. :D
On February 2, symphonic metal pioneers THERION will finally release Christofer Johnsson's monumental brainchild "Beloved Antichrist", a sweeping rock opera loosely inspired by Vladímir Soloviov's "A Short Tale Of The Antichrist". The entire piece reaches an impressive length of three hours. The dramatic and epic opus comes to life through 27 different character roles, performed by long-time band members like Thomas Vikström, Lori Lewis and Chiara Malvestiti, amongst many others. The band will unveil the first excerpt from "Beloved Antichrist" in single form before Christmas — and today, they present the cover artwork designed by Thomas Ewerhart, as well as the track listing.

Act I

01. Turn From Heaven
02. Where Will You Go?
03. Through Dust, Through Rain
04. Signs Are Here
05. Never Again
06. Bring Her Home
07. The Solid Black Beyond
08. The Crowning Of Splendour
09. Morning Has Broken
10. Garden Of Peace
11. Our Destiny
12. Anthem
13. The Palace Ball
14. Jewels From Afar
15. Hail Caesar!
16. What Is Wrong?
17. Nothing But My Name

Act II

01. The Arrival Of Apollonius
02. Pledging Loyalty
03. Night Reborn
04. Dagger Of God
05. Temple Of New Jerusalem
06. The Lions Roar
07. Bringing The Gospel
08. Laudate Dominum
09. Remaining Silent
10. Behold Antichrist
11. Cursed By The Fallen
12. Resurrection
13. To Where I Weep
14. Astral Sophia
15. Thy Will Be Done!

Act III

01. Shoot Them Down!
02. Beneath The Starry Skies
03. Forgive Me
04. The Wasteland Of My Heart
05. Burning The Palace
06. Prelude To War
07. Day Of Wrath
08. Rise To War
09. Time Has Come/Final Battle
10. My Voyage Carries On
11. Striking Darkness
12. Seeds Of Time
13. To Shine Forever
14. Theme Of Antichrist

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/therio ... 8QeRHvh.99
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Petit extrait :

Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Achille »

L'extrait est pas fou-fou mais prometteur :up:
☞ ⁍ Bullet Club 4 Life ⁌ ☠
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Celle-ci est plus relevée, même si ça reste très prudent et pas si ambitieux que ça :

Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Cette fois j'aime bien :

là le titre doit faire référence aux Misérables je présume :

Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Achille »

Mon Dieu mais quel clip horrible pour "Theme of Antichrist" :beurk: je ne comprends pas comment on peut proposer de telles choses... :scratch: Et c'est bien dommage car la musique est vraiment bien pour le coup...
☞ ⁍ Bullet Club 4 Life ⁌ ☠
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

^ Christofer Johnsson explique qu'il ne pouvait pas faire de clip avec tous les membres du groupe qui vivent aux 4 coins du monde, donc à la place il a eu l'idée de... ça. :D
Johnsson explains: "So, the 'Beloved Antichrist' is ready, let's get on with promotion. We need a video clip. Lori is in the USA, Christian in Argentina, Chiara in Italy, Thomas is touring in Spain, Carlos (the video producer) and his team are in Chile and the rest of us are in Sweden. The budget won't be enough to fly everyone around. To have four different green screen sessions and let each person organize it by him/herself is too expensive and also very risky. So that leaves me with two options: 1. Tell the record label we don't have the means to do it currently. 2. Think outside of the box (as we often need to do).

"I've been eleborating with the thought of 'Beloved Antichrist' as an animated film. It could be just one of many crazy ideas I've had over the years that never got realized (sometimes sadly, sometimes for good reason). Or who knows? Either way, it gave me the idea of making an animated video clip and thus both solve the problem with people being spread around the planet and do something different at the same time. Which, of course, gives people something to talk about — the best promotion you can get."
Mc Brain
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par Mc Brain »

Achille a écrit :
05 févr. 2018, 10:00
Mon Dieu mais quel clip horrible pour "Theme of Antichrist" :beurk: je ne comprends pas comment on peut proposer de telles choses... :scratch: Et c'est bien dommage car la musique est vraiment bien pour le coup...
Pour ceux qui connaissent, les décors de la vidéo font carrément penser à la cité d'Anor Londo dans le jeu Dark Souls :)
Gaëtan: "Reste plus qu'à interdire les citations dans les signatures... "
Répondre