Paradise Lost - Medusa

L'actualité brulante du Metal traditionnel et de tout ce qui gravite autour.

Modérateurs : Modérateurs du forum, Responsables / Animateurs de sections

Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Annoncé pour cet été, et encore plus doom :
U.K. gothic metal pioneers PARADISE LOST are putting the finishing touches on their new album, recorded at Orgone Studios in the misty countryside of Woburn, England. Together with producer Jaime Gomez Arellano, they have forged the follow-up to their highly acclaimed release "The Plague Within" (2015), which brought them a step closer to their death metal roots. This time, PARADISE LOST will haunt their fans with a heavy, doom-ridden monster, as lead guitarist and songwriter Greg Mackintosh reveals. "The new album will be slower, sludgier and more doom-filled than ever before," he said. "Eight riff-laden monster tracks of sheer Northern misery."

PARADISE LOST's fifteenth studio album, titled "Medusa", will see the light of day at the end of summer via Nuclear Blast. As some might know, Medusa is considered a hideous Gorgon in Greek mythology — a winged female monster with living venomous snakes in place of hair and everyone who dares taking a look at her will immediately turn to stone.

Formed in Halifax, West Yorkshire in 1988 and still boasting four of its five original members, PARADISE LOST is widely credited with co-founding the gothic metal genre with its sophomore album, "Gothic" (1991). Through the years, PARADISE LOST has changed its style effectively and reinvented itself again and again. They elbowed their way from their original melodic death metal sound on their debut, "Lost Paradise" (1990) to the classic "Icon" (1993) and more experimental "One Second" (1997). Finally they went back to the roots with their most recent release, "The Plague Within", achieving some of the best reviews of their career.

In a 2015 interview with Isolation Grind, Holmes stated about "The Plague Within"'s heavier sound compared to that on some of PARADISE LOST's earlier albums: "We just tried to capture the spirit of the old days without forgetting everything else that has happened over the last 20 years. I don't think the album is back to our roots as such, as we couldn't have written an album like this 25 years ago."

Nick also talked about the progression of PARADISE LOST's sound, calling it "just evolution. Certain albums have taken us in significant directions, I guess 'Icon' was probably the first album to do that, and we continued that style until 'One Second'. It's too early to see if ['The Plague Within'] will be a new progression."

PARADISE LOST 2017 is:

Nick Holmes - Vocals
Greg Mackintosh - Lead Guitars
Aaron Aedy - Rhythm Guitars
Steve Edmondson - Bass
Waltteri Väyrynen - Drums

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/paradi ... 97b3hFS.99
I'm the lost one chasing colors to the sun
Colors bleed but never fade
mike-polar
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par mike-polar »

Super nouvelle. Le dernier tourne encore regulierement chez moi. Un retour aux sources reussi! :rock:

On dirait que depuis que Nick Holmes est chez Bloodbath et Gregor a lance Vallenfyre ils ont repris du poil de la bête :up: :)
ChaNoir
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par ChaNoir »

Oui j´ai vu ca hier aussi et je me réjouis :)
mike-polar a écrit :Super nouvelle. Le dernier tourne encore regulierement chez moi. Un retour aux sources reussi! :rock:
tout pareil :oui:
"And the more I know, the more my bonds to this world dissolve" Lantern
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fière de ma fille! Pour écouter c´est ici: https://siluriancult.bandcamp.com
BurningDarkness
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par BurningDarkness »

Pareil de mon côté ! Content de voir le groupe ainsi "relancé"
Stéphane
Rodger pour les intimes !

Message par Stéphane »

Sortie le 01 / 09 /2017
We can now announce that our new album »Medusa« will be released on 1st September via NUCLEAR BLAST!
───────
The album artwork was created by BRANCA STUDIO and shows the infamous Gorgone, Medusa, from Greek mythology, carrying venomous snakes as hair and turning everyone into stone who would dare to look into her eyes.

∙ Greg Mackintosh: "Whilst we were writing »Medusa« and realising what the new songs were becoming, we had to find an artist to reflect this direction. After searching around for a while, I found BRANCA STUDIOs. They have a keen eye for design and their modern take on retro artwork really fit the bill. What they have come up with is a blending of colourful yet retro styling, whilst maintaining the classic PARADISE LOST feel."

∙ Nick Holmes: "I was intrigued about a greater meaning and thinking more along the lines of what Medusa represents metaphorically. Medusa as a title works in many ways. From a nihilist perspective, when I read the description of 'medusa' on the wikipedia page: 'Attempts to avoid looking into Medusa's eyes represents avoiding the ostensibly depressing reality that the universe is meaningless' - the title was pretty much in the bag!"
───────
There will be a special release show on 1st September in Stuttgart at LKA LONGHORN where the album will be performed in its entirety. Find out more here: BIT.LY/2SN2F2W
"At the gates of hell" --> https://bit.ly/3o1GrtF
"World on fire" --> https://youtu.be/coRbsXy4dVU
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

L'album est comparé à Shades of God dans les interviews.
Stéphane

Message par Stéphane »

Everflow a écrit :L'album est comparé à Shades of God dans les interviews.
Pas très rassurant vu comment il est chiant "Shades of god" :diable:
mike-polar
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par mike-polar »

Je le trouve cool moi Shades of God, même si ce n'est pas mon prefere de cette periode la.

Pas fan de la pochette par contre et des faux look retro que pondent les poseurs de BRANCA STUDIO. ça fait cheap.

Hate d'entendre l'album par contre! :rock:
NicoGan
Nanowarrior
Nanowarrior

Message par NicoGan »

Stéphane a écrit :
Everflow a écrit :L'album est comparé à Shades of God dans les interviews.
Pas très rassurant vu comment il est chiant "Shades of god" :diable:
Shades of god il est doomesque à mort :amour:
ImageImageImage
mike-polar
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par mike-polar »

Un premier single sortira le 7 juillet. Un court extrait a ete devoile.

La tracklist de l'album
1. Fearless Sky (8:30)
2. Gods Of Ancient (5:50)
3. From The Gallows (3:42)
4. The Longest Winter (4:31)
5. Medusa (6:20)
6. No Passage For The Dead (4:16)
7. Blood & Chaos (3:51)
8. Until The Grave (5:41)

Bonus tracks:
Frozen Illusion (5:45)
Shrines (3:59)
Symbolic Virtue (4:38)
Gandalf
Zorro of False Metal
Zorro of False Metal

Message par Gandalf »

Deux ans à peine après la sortie de The Plague Within, Paradise Lost prévoit déjà la sortie de leur quinzième album intitulé Medusa respectant ainsi le délai de deux à trois ans entre chaque album depuis leur premier disque en 1990. C’est précisément le 1er septembre 2017 que l’on pourra se procurer cette nouvelle galette disponible au choix en CD digipack avec deux titres bonus, en CD boitier Crystal, en Vinyl de couleur noir, transparent ou marbré violet et blanc ainsi que dans un coffret regroupant l’album en CD Digipack, Vinyl Picture Disc, un 45 Tours, un poster, une photo et une bougie. Des bundles avec un t-shirt sont également disponibles sur le site officiel de Nuclear Blast.

Composé de huit titres dans sa version standard, Medusa est annoncé comme plus Doom que jamais, influencé notamment par les projets parallèles du chanteur Nick Holmes au sein de Bloodbath et du guitariste Greg Mackintosh au sein de Vallenfyre qui vient de sortir son troisième album Fear Those Who Fear Him le 2 juin 2017. Ce nouvel album a été enregistré aux Orgone Studios dans la campagne de Woburn en Angleterre avec le producteur Jaime Gomez Arellano. La pochette très vintage est l’oeuvre de Branca Studio.

Pour lancer ce nouvel album, Paradise Lost donnera un concert unique le 1er septembre à Stuttgart où ils interpréteront l’intégralité de Medusa ainsi que huit titres supplémentaires choisis par les fans via ce site. Les places pour ce concert peuvent encore être acheté sur le site de Nuclear Blast. Ils débuteront ensuite le 27 septembre 2017 leur nouvelle tournée européenne avec trois dates prévues en France en octobre et novembre :

27/10/2017 : La Belle Electrique, Grenoble
31/10/2017 : Le Trabendo, Paris
12/11/2017 : Le Grand Mix, Tourcoing

https://freakingeek.com/paradise-lost-n ... septembre/
GANDALF :gandalf:
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost
It's empty and cold without you here, too many people to ache over"
mike-polar
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par mike-polar »

nouveau morceau

Ca s'annonce pas mal :rock:
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Le concept du clip ci-dessus, suivi d'un autre titre plus bas :
With "Blood & Chaos", PARADISE LOST presents a dystopian short film about the struggle for survival in a post-apocalyptic world. Director Ash Pears from AshTV Music Video explains: "The track talks about elements of savagery and basic instinct. It felt right to set the video in a dark and dystopian post electrical-blackout world, where those who remain are essentially scavengers, and barely survivors. Things they once took for granted like batteries, matches and lighters are now the most sought after. This confusing new world has quickly turned upside down what's important to our character; and also makes him question what he would kill for. Our fantastic lead actor Nick Lester fully threw himself at this rôle — he really brought it to life alongside his collaborations with our other very talented actors Adele, Cris and Matt.

"The band and their team have been very supportive. I've shot with them before on a performance for 'Beneath Broken Earth', but this narrative-based video is an entirely different animal. They are the kind of band who know what they like but equally give great freedom in how to bring the track to life. It was Nick and Greg who offered advice on the idea of savagery and basic instinct, so I took those ideas and developed them into a story."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/video- ... 3ETFQEj.99
Le sujet du titre ci-dessous est indirectement lié à Tchernobyl :
PARADISE LOST singer Nick Holmes explains the background of the song: "I read a story about how wildlife was once beginning to flourish in the 30-mile exclusion zone after the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 — particularly the wolf population. It was nice to think that that no matter how much mankind tried to fuck the planet up directly or indirectly, life carries on in some shape or form. But humans are humans and I recently heard that there is already now 'timed' hunting trips organised into the exclusion zone."
Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/paradi ... lFYJW6A.99
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Et une interview bonus :
On whether the band's forthcoming "Medusa" album is their heaviest in years:

Greg: "I would probably say it's our heaviest album to date, really, partly because of the way the songs are written. Also, partly, because of the production. The production is very kind a bit of a throwback production in a way, and also very organic. It's basically the mics recording everything, no editing, no nothing. It's very much a doom metal album. We had a very clear idea of what we're doing before we even started writing this album, which we don't normally have. Normally, we start writing and see what happens. But with this record, we had a very clear idea that we wanted to do a doom metal album. And, it just worked that way. The first song on the album is eight and a half minutes long and our label [Nuclear Blast], when we told them we wanted to put it first, they were a little apprehensive because it throws people into the deep end. It's not as immediate as maybe as some of the previous albums, but I think it's a grower. That's the whole point to me. But yeah, it's very heavy, very doom metal. It can be quite eclectic in parts and there's a range of vocal styles and a range of different musical styles on there."

On whether having a pre-determined direction affected the band's writing process:

Greg: "Yeah, a little bit. In my head, I had a brief. I had something that I really wanted to achieve with it, so that does affect the writing style a little bit. But we completely changed our songwriting, we started to do it on the last record [2015's 'The Plague Within'], it was a successful way of songwriting so we applied it to this record in its entirety. The idea came to me from David Bowie. I don't know if you know how he used to write his lyrics. He used to write the words down, various words, snip them up into pieces and throw them on the floor. And I thought it would be a cool idea to try something similar but in an audio way. I would send Nick [Holmes], our vocalist, a couple of riffs and said 'Can you sing as many different vocal lines as possible over this? Gruff vocals, clean vocals, harmonies, various different melodies and send them back to me.' Then I'd completely strip everything apart and build it like a jig-saw from scratch. It became a really intuitive and fast way of writing. Instead of having one version of a song that you're working on over and over to try and get the best possible version, you can have 10-15 versions of the same song at any one time and try out lots of different things really fast. This album, all it took, was six months to write and we usually take a year. I think I'm going to carry on with this songwriting style because it made everything so intuitive and it really felt like you had a grasp on everything at one time."

On the motivation behind PARADISE LOST revisiting their classic sound, which includes growled vocals from Holmes:

Greg: "It was almost accidental, really. I was pushing for it a few years ago, I was pushing Nick to try some of that vocal style out again. He wasn't interested in doing it. But then, when we started this kind of songwriting that we do now, it gave me kind of the impetus to build it for him. He would give me little passages. Then if I could make it fit really well to whatever I was doing, then he'd have to say, 'Yeah, you're right. This is really working.' I wasn't really pushing for it, but I like to have that at my disposal, if you know what I mean. So if a part demands something like that, you already have it there and you can use it in your palette. I think that's the way this album went, it became heavier and heavier as we were writing it. The gruff vocals were the thing that was working the most on a lot of the passages."

On why PARADISE LOST has always made stylistic changes from album to album:

Greg: "I think it's a natural process. If we did, not every record the same, but say we did five records in a row and they were all very similar, it would be like working on a production line for me. It would feel like, just very pedestrian. Personally, I like to be challenged, but also have something fresh. I think the reason we're still going after all this time is when we approach a record, we approach it as if we're a brand-new band and this is our first record and we have no history and no baggage. That really affects your viewpoint then, on everything. It can really change your writing style. I think that's the key to me, just thinking, 'What am I one-hundred percent into at this moment in time? Let's just go for that.' It can change year-in, year-out, you don't know. The music you got into when you're 15, 16, always stays with you at some degree, always keeps coming back, but you can still diversify from that and keep it all fresh for yourself."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/paradi ... PjzUbB8.99
mike-polar
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par mike-polar »

Il y a des gens qui l'ont ecoute?

Perso, je le trouve vraiment pas mal, mais quand même un poil en dessous de The Plague Within. Alors, il n'y a aucune tromperie sur la marchandise, comme il disent dans le communique, c'est un album tres tres doom. On remarque un tres grand travail sur le son cette fois, une prod tres organique mais puissante avec surtout un gros son de basse un peu "fuzzy"/gresillante qui renforce l'aspect doom des compos, qui repose beaucoup plus sur les riffs que sur le precedent.
comme ça, je dirais que 70% du chant est en growl/voix death, ce qui risque de deplaire a certains. Perso, j'aime bien le timbre bien crade de Nick Holmes mais justement sur le precedent, c'etait l'equilibre entre la voix gutturale et le chant melodique qui faisait le charme de l'album. La je dirais que sur quelques morceaux, ca devient un poil monotone, mais globalement ca passe tres bien. Sur le reste, il s'en sort tres bien, j'adore sa voix grave un peu gothique comme sur le refrain de Blood and Chaos....Il y a d'ailleurs quelques passages qui font penser a Type O Negative....

En tout cas, je suis content de les revoir relances comme ça! :rock:
BurningDarkness
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Je partage ton analyse mais je dois l'écouter encore. Vivement le concert fin du mois en tout cas :)
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

J'aime bien celle-là, assez "Gothic"... incroyable quand même de voir qu'ils sont revenus 25 ans en arrière dans l'approche, mais sans sonner passéiste dans le son.

mike-polar
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par mike-polar »

Le titre "From the Gallows" fait aussi tres Gothic. :rock:
Everflow a écrit : incroyable quand même de voir qu'ils sont revenus 25 ans en arrière dans l'approche, mais sans sonner passéiste dans le son.
Je suis d'accord et je pense aussi que ca sonne aussi convaincant parce que ce n'est pas du tout un "retour aux sources" forcé et artificiel comme beaucoup de groupes l'ont fait. Ca aurait tellement facile de se rabattre sur un son "classique" apres le backlash qu'ils ont recu a la fin des 90s. Mais non. Depuis l'album eponyme en 2005, de maniere progressive sur chaque disque, ils se sont de plus en plus rapproché de leurs racines metal pour enfin se reconcilier avec un son plus extreme. On pourrait dire qu'avec cet album, la boucle est bouclée, mais je suis curieux de voir vers ou ils vont évoluer pour la suite. Peut-être un album a la Lost Paradise :D

Ce que j'aime bien chez eux, c'est que tout est assumé, ils ne tirent pas une croix sur leur passé (c'etait peut être pas le cas lors de la periode Host, cela dit) et semblent assimiler tous les éléments avec lesquels ils ont experimenté au fil des années. Qu'on aime ou pas tout ce qu'ils ont fait, pour moi, leur démarche m'a toujours semblé tres sincere. :up:
BurningDarkness
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Puis on peut faire une corrélation avec la naissance du projet Vallenfyre et la participation de Holmes à Bloodbath.
Gandalf
Zorro of False Metal
Zorro of False Metal

Message par Gandalf »

mike-polar a écrit :Le titre "From the Gallows" fait aussi tres Gothic. :rock:
Everflow a écrit : incroyable quand même de voir qu'ils sont revenus 25 ans en arrière dans l'approche, mais sans sonner passéiste dans le son.
Je suis d'accord et je pense aussi que ca sonne aussi convaincant parce que ce n'est pas du tout un "retour aux sources" forcé et artificiel comme beaucoup de groupes l'ont fait. Ca aurait tellement facile de se rabattre sur un son "classique" apres le backlash qu'ils ont recu a la fin des 90s. Mais non. Depuis l'album eponyme en 2005, de maniere progressive sur chaque disque, ils se sont de plus en plus rapproché de leurs racines metal pour enfin se reconcilier avec un son plus extreme. On pourrait dire qu'avec cet album, la boucle est bouclée, mais je suis curieux de voir vers ou ils vont évoluer pour la suite. Peut-être un album a la Lost Paradise :D

Ce que j'aime bien chez eux, c'est que tout est assumé, ils ne tirent pas une croix sur leur passé (c'etait peut être pas le cas lors de la periode Host, cela dit) et semblent assimiler tous les éléments avec lesquels ils ont experimenté au fil des années. Qu'on aime ou pas tout ce qu'ils ont fait, pour moi, leur démarche m'a toujours semblé tres sincere. :up:
:up: :up: :up:
Je ne les ai pas suivi sur toutes les périodes, loin de là, mais on ne peut les taxer d'opportunisme ou de trendies. Ils ont leur démarche honnête selon leurs envies du moment, et ça sonne naturel.
Le concert au rockfest etait un des meilleurs du fest ! Même en plein jour, ils ont donné un plaisir immense.
GANDALF :gandalf:
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost
It's empty and cold without you here, too many people to ache over"
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

L'authenticité paie :

MDT
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Message par MDT »

Il tourne en boucle en ce moment :bang:
Il faut pas mal d'écoutes pour bien l'appréhender et il est plus varié qu'il n'y paraît entre un "Blood & Chaos" super immédiat, le titre éponyme plus travaillé et prenant, le pavé introductif qui est une pure merveille de doom death. Bref, encore un excellent album de la bande d'Halifax!
Quelle carrière... :bow: :bow: :bow:
TrVe Guadeloupean Zouk Metal
mike-polar
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par mike-polar »

Yep je partage ton avis. Il tourne en boucle. J'ai trop hâte de les voir à la fin du mois
BurningDarkness
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Je suis d'accord aussi ! J'ai eu plus de mal à rentrer dedans que le précédent mais au final c'est un de mes albums préférés de 2017 ! Et le concert d'il y a deux semaines ne fait que renforcer ce sentiment :)
Stéphane

Message par Stéphane »

Aussi excellent que les 2 derniers, ma préférence va à "Tragic Idol" mais les 3 sont bien bon :D

:bang:
Répondre