Iced Earth vont réenregistrer tous les anciens albums

L'actualité brulante du Metal traditionnel et de tout ce qui gravite autour.

Modérateurs : Modérateurs du forum, Responsables / Animateurs de sections

Répondre
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Cela paraît complètement surréaliste mais Jon Schaffer parle explicitement de réenregistrer les 6 premiers albums du groupe, c'est à dire tous ceux parus chez Century Media (jusqu'à Horror Show inclus), sur lesquels il ne toucherait pas de royalties d'après lui. Ce qui devrait l'occuper sur les 10 prochaines années!

A côté Manowar seront des petits joueurs du réenregistrement. :diable: :crazy:
ICED EARTH guitarist Jon Schaffer was recently interviewed by Greece's Rock Overdose. The complete three-part conversation can be heard at this location. A few excerpts follow (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET and Rock Overdose):

On whether he stands by his prediction that the group's latest release, "Incorruptible", will eventually be considered a "classic ICED EARTH album":

Jon: "Yeah, I do. What I said was [that] I feel like it's going to be a classic. I'm aware that the fans ultimately decide that, but the fans are very fired up all over the world. My instincts are usually right when it comes to that kind of stuff, and I was feeling it pretty strong very early in the writing process. So far, it's playing out that way. We'll see. You can't decide in four months if it's a classic. It's going to be a few years. A lot of these songs are some of the best that I've written in my career, or co-written in my career."

On the origins of the "Incorruptible" song "Clear The Way":

Jon: "It's kind of been brewing in the back of my mind for many years now — 'One of these days, I want to write a song about the Irish Brigade.' And I still have plenty of ideas like that. They sit in my mind maybe for eight years, 10 years, where I'm thinking, ‘Yes, some day that's going to happen,' and it just happens when the time's right.

"I'm sure it goes back to, at least, when I was in the writing process for 'The Glorious Burden'. I think I probably considered doing one about the Irish Brigade then, but because of the magnitude of 'Gettysburg', I just left it. [For 'Incorruptible',] it just felt right. I didn't want to make it a themed record or a concept record, so I had an opportunity to write about a bunch of different subjects and I just felt like it was a good move to make. It felt right to me. I had recently unpacked this painting called 'Clear The Way' by Don Troiani. It's an amazing piece of art and it was hanging in my house for many, many years, and then it ended up being boxed away in storage. I unpacked it, and it made me kind of reconnect with that energy in a way. It just happened, man. I don't really think too deeply; I just go with it."

On why he thinks his bond with vocalist Stu Block is so strong:

Jon: "It's probably past-life stuff. I don't really know. I mean, Stu and I felt familiar with each other from the moment we met — like, there was some deeper relationship there. Then, after all of the years that we've spent on tour together, and all the shit we've gone through — and not bad shit, amazing shit; we've had a hell of a journey already — the bond just got stronger. That's quite a statement, because if you look at just the 'Dystopia' tour and immediately going into doing 'Plagues Of Babylon' and, in the middle of that, the 'Live In Ancient Kourion' DVD came out, it was a tremendous amount of work, and then we go on another massive world tour for 'Plagues Of Babylon'. Stu's done more shows with ICED EARTH than any — all — of the singers combined. Sometimes in those situations, you can have a relationship that doesn't go well because maybe there's clashes and a personality war, but with Stu. Stu and I just got tighter, so it's a very cool thing."

On the band's future plans:

Jon: "We are going to be re-recording [our older] records over the course of, probably, the next 10 years. We're going to be doing a lot of the ICED EARTH catalog because I don't own the master rights and there's no real income coming from that. If we redo those records, then everybody in the band will be able to get a royalty in the future moving forward. It's going to be a big project and it's going to be a lot of fun to do, to really dig back into those records — especially, like, the first six. That's what we're gonna focus on. I don't know which one we're gonna start with yet. I have a pretty good idea which one, but the guys and I will talk over that in the next few months. Not to take away, because I think those albums are great, but the fact is that it was a bad business deal for ICED EARTH, and for us going forward, we want to be able to have control of our catalog and of our destiny."

"If it takes three or four years for another ICED EARTH record, then so be it. I don't think that it will, but if it does, okay. Going forward, we're not going to be under any pressure to make another ICED EARTH record to the point where we're rushing it in between scheduled tours or something. I'm just not going to do that. It's going to be more, you know, we take our time and make the record that we want to make, and then, we put it out. And if we do that, we're going to end up with albums like 'Incorruptible' all the time, because it's not forced. It's like you're allowing the energy to flow the way it's supposed to and coming up with the goods. That's all about learning from past experiences and just trying to go with the flow and not force something because of a time commitment. And besides, now that we are free [agents], the way that we're going to be doing business as a band going forward is going to be completely different than anything in the past. That, also, gives us a lot of possibilities of dictating the way that our future is done. So, it's a great period for the band right now, actually."
I'm the lost one chasing colors to the sun
Colors bleed but never fade
Stéphane
Rodger pour les intimes !

Message par Stéphane »

Punaise, en même temps si tu commence à pas toucher de tunes sur tes albums les plus vendus c'est pas cool !
Comme si Maiden touchait rien sur TNOTB, Piece of Mind et Powerslave... ou Led Zepp qui toucherait rien sur IV.... :mad:
Bon de là a TOUT réenregistrer. Days of purgatory devrait suffire non ? :D
"At the gates of hell" --> https://bit.ly/3o1GrtF
"World on fire" --> https://youtu.be/coRbsXy4dVU
Dark Schneider
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Dark Schneider »

Je trouve son chanteur actuel tellement bon que finalement ça ne serait peut-être pas si mal que ça. Mais bon, ça ne sera pas le même son, le même feeling d'époque, sans parler des mêmes guitaristes solistes...
metalrunner
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Message par metalrunner »

Qu il réenregistre le triple live :D perso mon édition de Night of the Stomrider est parfaite :bang: :bang: :bang:
SophiePetoncule
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par SophiePetoncule »

Super !! Avec stu block, grosse valeur ajouté !! J'apprécie mieux un album comme Horror Show depuis que j'ai le Live in Ancient Kourion de 2014 que j'écoute souvent
over'phil
Vraiment trop injuste
Vraiment trop injuste

Message par over'phil »

j'ai déjà la box genesis et days of purgatory donc je vois pas l'intérêt sauf royalties
Hatred Dusk devient HD !!!!!!!!!!
Website - http://hatreddusk.bandcamp.com - Http://hdthrash.com
Denis
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Denis »

Vu le son en plastique des dernières productions, ça va être une réussite :diable:
Prochains concerts:
Gandalf
Zorro of False Metal
Zorro of False Metal

Message par Gandalf »

over'phil a écrit :
31 déc. 2017, 22:05
j'ai déjà la box genesis et days of purgatory donc je vois pas l'intérêt sauf royalties
Pareil :D
Et le Stu il est bon mais il n'aura jamais la puissance emotionnelle de Barlow. Eh ouais.
GANDALF :gandalf:
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost
It's empty and cold without you here, too many people to ache over"
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Stéphane a écrit :
31 déc. 2017, 10:31
Punaise, en même temps si tu commence à pas toucher de tunes sur tes albums les plus vendus c'est pas cool !
Comme si Maiden touchait rien sur TNOTB, Piece of Mind et Powerslave... ou Led Zepp qui toucherait rien sur IV.... :mad:
Bon de là a TOUT réenregistrer. Days of purgatory devrait suffire non ? :D
Ces histoires de royalties sont peut-être un moyen de vendre son idée, ça me paraît gros qu'il ne touche rien dans la mesure où Iced Earth avaient quand même REsigné chez Century Media à l'époque! Si CM étaient vraiment des escrocs, admettons, pourquoi alors repartir avec eux pour un tour? Il n'avait pas eu le temps de s'en rendre compte? J'ai beaucoup de mal à l'imaginer naïf et négligent à ce point.
Je ne remets pas en cause qu'il s'agissait d'un mauvais contrat, je n'en sais rien, mais son affirmation est tellement extrême qu'elle ne cadre pas tout à fait avec certains éléments.

D'un point de vue artistique, pour les 2 premiers albums, à la rigueur je peux voir l'intérêt d'en corriger les défauts (cf le Days of Purgatory), même si toute l'atmosphère sera détruite par la prod' synthétique actuelle. Mais pour la période Barlow, je ne peux pas croire que des albums comme The Dark Saga et Something Wicked vont être améliorés ou ne serait-ce que respectés.

Enfin, je dois avouer que je ne suis toujours pas convaincu par Stu Block. Pourtant, objectivement c'est leur chanteur le plus versatile, le plus metal, le plus tout quoi. OK.
Mais je ne ressens pas vraiment d'authenticité dans sa voix, et c'était déjà le cas dans son ancien groupe d'ailleurs, il sonne souvent trop forcé pour moi, comme s'il s'échinait à être le plus metal et le plus Barlow-compatible possible. C'est en tout cas le sentiment qu'il me laisse. J'admets sa compétence objective, mais ça ne m'a pas passionné outre mesure jusque là.
weik
Gold Saint
Gold Saint

Message par weik »

du n'importe quoi ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Qu'il réenregistre plutôt les albums avec Owens et le dernier avec Barlow, en améliorant les titres :up:
Holy Cross
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par Holy Cross »

Matt Barlow c'est la référence niveau chant dans IE y a pas photo! (même si le Stu est probablement meilleur techniquement)
Dark Schneider
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Dark Schneider »

Moi je préfère Stu Block à Barlow ! Il est aussi capable de faire de l'émotion (aspect qui ne fonctionnait pas trop avec Ripper) sans sombrer dans les excès pleureuse de Barlow.
Larry
Bad Karma Since 2007
Bad Karma Since 2007

Message par Larry »

Barlow a un timbre beaucoup plus particulier et personnel, là où Stu Block a une voix plus passe-partout. Sur Dystopia il se démarque et est excellent, le live à Kourion est top, après... moins convaincu aussi. A mon sens le problème vient plus de Schaffer qui tourne sévèrement en rond, la preuve de ces réenregistrements...
Stéphane

Message par Stéphane »

Moi je n'ai pas (plu) d'avis tranché...Barlow / Stu sont tous deux excellents. Contrairement a beaucoup je trouve Plague of Babylon aussi excellent que Dystopia (pas encore écouté le dernier).
Réenregistrer les anciens morceaux avec Stu par contre, ça n'a aucun intérêt, de même que réenregistrer les nouveau avec Barlow n'aurait aucun sens... de toute façon même quand Barlow a réenregistré certains morceau d'avec Ripper j'ai pas du tout été convaincu (Setian Massacre avec Barlow est plate au possible !)
"At the gates of hell" --> https://bit.ly/3o1GrtF
"World on fire" --> https://youtu.be/coRbsXy4dVU
Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Achille »

Ils feraient mieux de se sortir les doigts du cul et nous livrer un bon album au lieu de "pourrir" les anciens :lol:
☞ ⁍ Bullet Club 4 Life ⁌ ☠
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Schaffer défend cette décision... en disant qu'il n'aimerait pas que Maiden ou Metallica le fassent :D
On his recent revelation that ICED EARTH was going to be re-recording some of its early albums with the band's current lineup:

Jon: "As a fan, do I want IRON MAIDEN to go back and mess around with 'The Number Of The Beast' or METALLICA to change 'Ride The Lightning' or [BLACK] SABBATH to change 'Black Sabbath'? No, I don't, because I love 'em the way they are. But we're gonna dig back in to the catalogue and we're gonna do some re-recording and we're gonna do it with the muscle and the talent that's in the band now. And that's not a dig at anybody, because I've worked with amazing people through my whole career, and everybody's contributed. Even if somebody hasn't necessarily written songs, they're contributing, of course, 'cause they're performing. And those are two separate things. Sometimes the line gets blurred in the artist's mind of the difference between performing and the difference between writing, but there is a big difference. And everybody has done the best that they can through the entire catalogue, and it's great — there's been contributions from all. So I'm not one to sit back and say that I wrote everything and I do everything, even though people have accused me of that kind of attitude; that's not the case. Am I the chief songwriter? Absolutely. Am I the driving force of this band? Absolutely. And anybody that's worked around it knows that. And if they say anything different, then they're just lying. So it is what it is.

"For whatever reason, this band… I've been married to it since the concept was brewing in my mind when it was… Well, it started off as THE ROSE, which for a very short-lived time, and then it became PURGATORY, and then it was ICED EARTH ultimately. And I've been completely married to it, completely committed to it since its inception."

On Schaffer not owning the master rights to ICED EARTH's early recordings:

Jon: "The thing is, man, I will never own the masters for [early ICED EARTH albums released through] Century Media unless, all of a sudden, they develop a conscience and say, 'Jon should own his masters.' [Laughs] And believe me, Sony Records did not buy Century Media to start giving artists their rights back. So it's pretty unlikely. And, you know, it's business, and dude, hey, I signed, we all signed it — the origina five guys from the first album, we all signed a very horrible contract. I just finished it. I went and pushed through to the bitter end."

On how ICED EARTH plans to release new music in the future:

Jon: "When we talk about the future for ICED EARTH and the model that we're gonna build for ourselves… Will I start a record label? Yes. Will it be a record label that signs bands? No. It's gonna be a record label that will deal specifically for ICED EARTH and for the projects that I'm involved in. Because through the tenacity of doing this for so many years, I've been able to build a brand, and I can protect that brand from this day going forward in a way that I've never really been able to before. I was gonna start a record company to sign young artists, the only way that I could profit is by fucking those artists over. Because the problem is now that the music industry, the way you sell music has collapsed so much — physical sales are down in everything, whether it's CDs… [they're] really on the way down. Vinyl, fortunately, for ICED EARTH, every album we've ever made has been [released] on vinyl. And the sales since probably, I'm gonna say 2011, it seems like there's a trend where vinyl sales are actually going up. It's not enough to save the music business as it was, but it is cool that people are, for one thing, rediscovering it, they're realizing how cool it is — that's great. But in the old days… back to the whole point of what I'm saying… 'cause I've had young artists and young bands ask me if I'm gonna sign any bands with this label, and I'm just not gonna do it, because I can't invest the time that it would take to run a record company. In the old days, they didn't have to fuck the artist — there was plenty of money coming in, because people were buying product. Now the majority of the income is coming from streaming, and that's a fraction of what it used to be. So you really have to take everything from the band if you're gonna make profit. Or you have to sign a hundred bands with a pretty shitty, mediocre deal, and how are you gonna staff all the people it takes to do that? You can't. That's why the indie labels are being gobbled up by the majors."

On whether he can ever see ICED EARTH signed to another record company in the future:

Jon: "It doesn't mean that I'll never work with a record company again, but it's never gonna represent anything like it did in the past — it's not gonna look like that. It would be as a distribution deal only. There's different concepts right now. It is literally like the Wild West in terms of how an established brand, which is what ICED EARTH is, can go forward and do business around the world — there's a lot of different options. And that's why we're not gonna decide anything right now. 'Cause [ICED EARTH's latet album] 'Incorruptible' has only been out for a few months, and we can easily wait a year, or a year and a half. And in that time, you'll see the physical market will crash at least another 20 or 25 percent, and you'll see more labels go out of business and you'll see more retail stores go out of business. It's changing, man, and it's changing rapidly, and it really started happening around 2008. And it's a double-edged sword, because it can be very good if you're in my position. If you're in the position of a very young band, it's never been easy to do this. But I don't even know how they're gonna get started, how a new band can actually do something and turn it into something big without just being completely raked over the coals. I mean, there will be guys that figure it out — trust me — 'cause that's the way humans work: when shit gets bad, we figure out a way. But I don't know what it's gonna look like. Nobody knows what the new model is. What I'm getting to is the only thing that I'm concerned with is preserving my brand and the projects that I'm in and how I'm gonna push forward so that the people around me are taken care of, myself is taken care of, the people that I'm in business with and, obviously, my family and these people, so that we can survive and thrive — not just survive, but thrive through the changing world of the music business. So it's an exciting time. I'm not afraid of it. I'm looking forward to it."
Cruchot jr
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Message par Cruchot jr »

Ah, si leurs compatriotes de CAGE pouvaient avoir la même idée... Réenregistrer l'excellent "Hell destroyer" et le moins passionnant "Science of annihilation", avec une production moins "bourrine" et plus digne de leur talent, ... :hum: :diable:
I pledge to keep it alive ! I promise: metal will thrive !
I swear myself to the cause ! I'll teach all the metal laws !

http://defender.metal-live.com/viewtopi ... =9&t=18665
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Matt Barlow n'a aucun problème avec ces réenregistrements. Et il ne parle que d'argent...
Speaking to The Metal Voice in an interview conducted earlier today (Saturday, September 22), the singer, who fronted ICED EARTH from 1994 to 2003 and again from 2007 to 2011, said: "As far as my cut, whatever I contributed to the writing of the songs I'll still get. So from that aspect, from the financial aspect, if people wanna buy the records again, that's great for me, financially, 'cause I still get writing credit for it.

"Basically, I signed away my performance rights — I got paid for my performance, but the writing is where I would get paid [if the albums were to get re-recorded]," he continued. "And I don't have a problem with it. If those guys are getting paid for redoing the records, it doesn't hurt my feelings at all. And those other records will always be out there — there will be versions of it, hopefully, that people can buy, if they so choose; if they want both copies or whatever, then that's fantastic."

Barlow went on to reiterate that there are "no hard feelings" between him and the ICED EARTH guitarist on the issue of re-recording the band's earlier catalog, explaining: "That would just be an ego thing, if anything. I can't really say that I've got that — that's not part of who I am.

"It's so hard for musicians to make a living, and if these guys are musicians that are trying to make a living doing it — and they are; Jon is, and Jon has made his living with music," he said. "If he can make some more money to keep ICED EARTH going, then more power to him, man. That's just the way I see it. It is his livelihood, and it's his company, above all things. He's had to use record companies to keep that going, but at the end of the day, it is his company, and he's gotta keep it going, man. And if everybody wants him to keep it going, then they've gotta understand that that's what he's gotta do.

"So, no, I'm not offended at all — as I hope that Gene [Adam, original ICED EARTH singer] wasn't offended when I redid the vocals on ['Days Of Purgatory', 1997 collection of remixes and re-recordings of songs from previous ICED EARTH albums]," Barlow added. "At that particular time, we all thought that I was gonna go on and be with ICED EARTH forever, and we were basically trying to redo the songs in my style, so then when we do 'em live, that's the way that people were gonna hear 'em. But there are still people that are going back and buying the Gene [versions of the songs]. There's a lot of ICED EARTH fans that still love the first record above all others — and with good reason, 'cause it's really cool stuff, and it's different; it's just different. So there's nothing wrong with that."
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Re: Iced Earth vont réenregistrer tous les anciens albums

Message par Everflow »

Le premier album ressort, mais n'a pas été réenregistré finalement. Il est seulement remixé et remasterisé (une nouvelle fois) :

The 30th-anniversary edition of ICED EARTH's self-titled debut album will arrive on December 18 via Century Media Records. The new version of the 1990 LP features a remix by Chris "Zeuss" Harris, who previously worked with ICED EARTH on the group's latest effort, 2017's "Incorruptible", and brand new artwork.

ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer comments: "This 30-year-old debut classic has been remixed and remastered from the original 2 inch tapes by Zeuss, and it sounds fantastic. It has a modern touch and still retains the dynamics of the original release. This is a big step forward sonically and visually. We're excited to have our exclusive artwork and blood red vinyl version at icedearthmerch.com."

The remixed and remastered version of the song "Written On The Walls" can be streamed below.

"Iced Earth (30th Anniversary Edition)" is available as 180-gram vinyl, limited CD digipak and digital album.

Track listing:

01. Iced Earth (Remaster 2020)
01. Written On The Walls (Remaster 2020)
01. Colors (Remaster 2020)
01. Curse The Sky (Remaster 2020)
01. Life And Death (Remaster 2020)
01. Solitude (Remaster 2020)
01. Funeral (Remaster 2020)
01. When The Night Falls (Remaster 2020)

Recording lineup:

Jon Schaffer - Rhythm And Lead Guitars, Backing Vocals
Gene Adam - Lead Vocals
Dave Abell - Bass Guitars
Mike McGill - Drums
Randy Shawver - Lead Guitar
Denis
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Denis »

Everflow a écrit :
26 oct. 2020, 22:53
it sounds fantastic.
Je propose une collecte de fonds pour que Jon s’achète une paire d'oreilles... :P
Prochains concerts:
metalrunner
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Message par metalrunner »

Quel album ce 1er iced earth un must a la frontière du heavy et du speed.
Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Achille »

Ils ont pas autre chose à foutre qu'à enregistrer leurs albums tous les trois ans ceux-là ??

"it sounds fantastic ! A REAL and FIDEL fan absolutely HAS to BUY ALL of these albums !"

Allez va ! Composez un nouveau disque et arrêtez de prendre votre public pour un troupeau de vaches à lait...
☞ ⁍ Bullet Club 4 Life ⁌ ☠
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
Cardinal-Sin
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par Cardinal-Sin »

Cruchot jr a écrit :
23 janv. 2018, 08:17
Ah, si leurs compatriotes de CAGE pouvaient avoir la même idée... Réenregistrer l'excellent "Hell destroyer" et le moins passionnant "Science of annihilation", avec une production moins "bourrine" et plus digne de leur talent, ... :hum: :diable:
pour Science Of Annihilation, ils t'ont écouté... en partie, mais la nouvelle version sonne bien mieux en tout cas ;)

Sinon je me demande combien de pochette différent le premier album d'Iced Earth a eu
:metallian: :papy: :metallian: BY STEEL WE RULE - http://www.metalofsteel.ch// :metallian: :papy: :metallian:
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Cardinal-Sin a écrit :
27 oct. 2020, 09:25
Sinon je me demande combien de pochette différent le premier album d'Iced Earth a eu
J'en compte 4 en incluant la nouvelle de 2020.

Mordor
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Re: [Discographie] Iced Earth

Message par Mordor »

The 30th-anniversary edition of ICED EARTH's self-titled debut album will arrive on December 18 via Century Media Records. The new version of the 1990 LP features a remix by Chris "Zeuss" Harris, who previously worked with ICED EARTH on the group's latest effort, 2017's "Incorruptible", and brand new artwork.

ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer comments: "This 30-year-old debut classic has been remixed and remastered from the original 2 inch tapes by Zeuss, and it sounds fantastic. It has a modern touch and still retains the dynamics of the original release. This is a big step forward sonically and visually. We're excited to have our exclusive artwork and blood red vinyl version at icedearthmerch.com."

The remixed and remastered version of the song "Written On The Walls" can be streamed below.

"Iced Earth (30th Anniversary Edition)" is available as 180-gram vinyl, limited CD digipak and digital album.

Track listing:

01. Iced Earth (Remaster 2020)
01. Written On The Walls (Remaster 2020)
01. Colors (Remaster 2020)
01. Curse The Sky (Remaster 2020)

01. Life And Death (Remaster 2020)
01. Solitude (Remaster 2020)
01. Funeral (Remaster 2020)
01. When The Night Falls (Remaster 2020)

Recording lineup:
Jon Schaffer - Rhythm And Lead Guitars, Backing Vocals
Gene Adam - Lead Vocals
Dave Abell - Bass Guitars
Mike McGill - Drums
Randy Shawver - Lead Guitar

Répondre