Armored Saint - Punching the Sky

L'actualité brulante du Metal traditionnel et de tout ce qui gravite autour.

Modérateurs : Modérateurs du forum, Responsables / Animateurs de sections

Répondre
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Sortie en octobre.
On October 23, ARMORED SAINT will release its eighth full-length album, "Punching The Sky", via Metal Blade Records. For a first preview of the album, a video for the new single "End Of The Attention Span", directed by Robert Graves, can be seen below.

Bassist Joey Vera comments: "We've teamed up with video director Robert Graves for our first single, 'End Of The Attention Span'. Robert got the lyrical content right away and together we delved into society's ongoing fascination with electronic devices and the insidious disconnect it creates. The irony is that most of us feel connected together through our phone and computer screens, but the reality is that we have created a wedge between ourselves. Our human interactions have been infected with an intense need for information. We're always 'looking' for more. The end result is a very damaged attention span."

Leaders and stalwarts of the American heavy metal scene since the early 1980s, ARMORED SAINT's "Punching The Sky" sees them returning hard. A diverse, attitude-drenched collection, it's everything the band's faithful have come to expect from them while pushing their signature sound forward.

"The goal is to write really good music. I know I'm stating the obvious here but that's about the size of our agenda," says Vera. "We've been able to shed a lot of expectations that sometimes plague a band like ours that has been around a long time, and we've recently moved into a comfort zone with just being ourselves. We have this kind of freedom now that we didn't really have early in our career, and we can take some chances and make the kind of music that we want to hear. This record is a reflection of where we are at, right now."

Exploding to life with the crunchy, rousing "Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants" and not letting up until the closing ruthless riff of "Never You Fret", the record is possessed of an urgency and vigor which very much places it in the right now, but could only be the work of Vera, guitarists Phil Sandoval and Jeff Duncan, drummer Gonzo Sandoval and vocalist John Bush.

"When you're a band that began four decades ago, you really have to push yourself harder than ever when it comes to making a new record," states Bush. "The last thing you ever want is for it to appear as though you were going through the motions or that you're just putting a product out to do some touring. The records are immortal. They'll be here long after us. Every one needs to count in its own individual way."

With Vera acting as producer, he recruited the same engineering team that worked on "Win Hands Down", with drums recorded by Josh Newell at El Dorado Studios in Burbank, California, guitars tracked by Bill Metoyer at Skullseven studios in North Hollywood, California, and vocals, bass and additional recordings by the bassist at his studio.

"I like working with people that I trust and have a good personal rapport with," Vera says. "That same reason is why I hired Jay Ruston (ANTHRAX, AMON AMARTH, STONE SOUR) to mix the record. It's important to be able to work with people who understand what the end goal is."

The process of realizing the album was a lot of hard work, Vera admitting he took on too many of the tasks himself, but he states that overall it was a good experience and everyone brought their A-game to the table and the right attitude for getting things done.

"At the end of the mixing stage, I always have a hard time walking away from the project we've been working on for so long," he says. "It's hard to let it go. The end result is good though. Everyone played and sang their asses off and it shows."

"Punching The Sky" features a few guest musicians further expanding its sonic palette, the whole thing kicking off with the sound of Uilleann Pipes, Vera finding player Patrick D'Arcy in Los Angeles and recruiting him to the cause. GUNS N' ROSES keyboardist Dizzy Reed also contributes, Vera giving both him and D'Arcy some general directions and letting them loose, both of them delivering strong performances. The band's own Gonzo Sandoval plays an American Indian flute on "Never You Fret" — a first for ARMORED SAINT and their drummer. Also Jacob Ayala, the son of a childhood friend who is a drum major in high school, added some marching snare on one of the tracks, which really stands out.

With the band's place in the metal scene firmly re-established with "Punching The Sky", they are staring down their four decade anniversary, which Vera reflects on.

"Part of me feels like I can't believe we've been doing this for that long. It's kind of incredible," Vera says. "So I feel pretty damn lucky really, that we've been able to have the support from fans and our record company for all these years. Without this support, we really couldn't do any of this. So this is the big part of what has kept us going, and when I stop and look around, I am humbled that we've had this opportunity to make music and tour for such a long time. That's what our initial goal was back when we were just 18 years old."

"Punching The Sky" track listing:

01. Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants
02. End Of The Attention Span
03. Bubble
04. My Jurisdiction
05. Do Wrong To None
06. Lone Wolf
07. Missile To Gun
08. Fly In The Ointment
09. Bark, No Bite
10. Unfair
11. Never You Fret

I'm the lost one chasing colors to the sun
Colors bleed but never fade
Cardinal-Sin
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par Cardinal-Sin »

Encore un disque de l'année? je sens que cette fin d'année va être belle :amour: j'espère un confimement tient :D

:metallian: :papy: :metallian: BY STEEL WE RULE - http://www.metalofsteel.ch// :metallian: :papy: :metallian:
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

L'extrait est punchy en tout cas.
demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

Sympa effectivement. :up: Le clip est bien en adéquation avec le titre, bien foutu.
ChaNoir a écrit :Merde on n´est pas venus pour voir Chantal Goya en perfecto!
Metalrunner a écrit :Je sais je suis un thrasheur romantique et fragile :D
metalrunner
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Message par metalrunner »

Beau boulot des vétérans a quand la gloire?
metalrunner
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Plus j écoute ce morceau plus je me dis que ce morceau va devenir un classique.Superbe solo refrain chorus accrocheur un groupe au sommet de son art.Si metallica peut les prendre en tournée ce serait un beau geste.
STEELER
Powerslave
Powerslave

Message par STEELER »

Cela fait plaisir de les entendre. Des soli inspirés, c'est leur marque de fabrique.
Fall to your Knees and Repent if you Please
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

Un très bon titre là encore, ça donne envie d'acheter l'album. :bang:
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Et bientôt un documentaire sur le groupe.

metalrunner
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Ce groupe a compter dans ses rangs un super guitariste du nom de David Prichard.Il formait une sacrée paire avec le bro sandoval.
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

L'album est en ligne.

metalrunner
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Bon titre avec toujours ces solos bien placés par contre le clip c est kitch ;) enfin si ca plait.
demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

Je le trouve moins inspiré que les précédents, mais ce qu'il y a de bien avec Armored Saint c'est que ça passe quand même. :up:

Effectivement pour le clip on dirait qu'ils ont dépensé tout l'argent de ce budget pour les titres précédents. :D
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

Original et pêchu, mieux que le précédent. :up:

Mention spéciale pour le t - shirt Queensrÿche du chanteur et le clip au style vintage. :)
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Belle prestation de John Bush

Dave
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Dave »

Cette chanson est terrible, ma préférée de l'album, jeu de batterie de Gonzo au top
C'est quand même un sacré groupe qui fait vraiment souvent très bien les choses.
R.I.P. Gary Dalloway : 20/08/2006
demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

Très bon titre effectivement. :up:

J'ai hâte d'écouter l'album en entier.
Dave
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Dave »

Tu seras pas déçu je pense, vraiment un super album
R.I.P. Gary Dalloway : 20/08/2006
Répondre