Bodom After Midnight

L'actualité brulante du Metal traditionnel et de tout ce qui gravite autour.

Modérateurs : Modérateurs du forum, Responsables / Animateurs de sections

Répondre
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Vous l'aurez deviné, il s'agit du nouveau groupe d'Alexi Laiho, suite au split de Children of Bodom.
BODOM AFTER MIDNIGHT, the new band launched by ex-CHILDREN OF BODOM guitarist/vocalist Alexi Laiho, is working on material for its debut album.

Joining Alexi in the group are drummer Waltteri Väyrynen, guitarist Daniel Freyberg (ex-CHILDREN OF BODOM), bassist Mitja Toivonen (ex-SANTA CRUZ) and touring keyboardist Lauri Salomaa.

In a new interview with Finland's Kaaos TV, Toivonen stated about BODOM AFTER MIDNIGHT's present and future activities (see video below): "We had plans for the summer, and then it backfired [due to the coronavirus pandemic, like we know. It came pretty fast, and we had to figure out something else to do. But then again, I'm not sure if necessarily, in our case, the kind of, let's say, break before even starting was a bad thing, since we got more time to get together and get to know each other."

He continued: "To be honest, it was still a band that, pretty much, Daniel and Alexi were the only guys who knew each other that well. So we had, like, an extended honeymoon before maybe now [starting] to [play] gigs. And I think that was a good thing, in a way, rather than throwing the whole band into the deep end of the Tuska festival and, 'All right, guys. Knock yourselves out.'"

Regarding how BODOM AFTER MIDNIGHT has been spending its coronavirus downtime, Toivonen said: "We've been practicing, of course. First, we had some catching up [to do], just to get a feel [for] how the band is gonna sound like and stuff. And now, the state of mind is in a way that things have to move forward. So one thing that we've been really cautious is we don't wanna be labeled as a cover band at the end. Even though the songs, they're all written by Alexi, and they're gonna be performed in the future as well — the old CHILDREN OF BODOM catalog. But the thing is also to keep the train rolling all the time. And we're working on new material. Release dates, honestly, I cannot say, but as soon as we can get something done, we're trying to get something released as fast as we can."

Laiho recently said that he will not shy away from performing his former band's songs when he hits the road with BODOM AFTER MIDNIGHT. He told Kaaos TV (translated from Finnish): "We will be playing CHILDREN OF BODOM songs as that is what most of the audience want to hear. Those songs are written by me anyway, so I dont see any reason why not to play them. There will be so-called 'basic' songs, but there are also plans to play one or two songs live which CHILDREN OF BODOM has never played so far and some songs which we haven't played live in ages, so the setlist will be a good mix. We try to play as diverse setlist as possible on each show."

Jaska Raatikainen (drums), Henri "Henkka T. Blacksmith" Seppälä (bass) and Janne Wirman (keyboards) announced their departures from CHILDREN OF BODOM last October. Two months later, they confirmed that they were the rightful owners of the CHILDREN OF BODOM brand.

CHILDREN OF BODOM played its final show on December 15, 2019 at the Black Box in Helsinki Ice Hall. A short time later, Finnish music magazine Soundi reported that the rights to the CHILDREN OF BODOM name are held by AA & Sewira Consulting Oy, the company owned by Raatikainen, Seppälä and Wirman. In June 2019, the trio filed an application with the National Board of Patents and Registration of Finland, and their application was subsequently granted for a five-year period starting on October 1, 2019. As a result, Laiho, who was CHILDREN OF BODOM's singer, guitarist and main songwriter, isn't authorized to use the band's name without permission from Wirman, Raatikainen and Seppälä.

Last November, Laiho admitted to Helsingin Sanomat that there had been tensions in the BODOM camp for quite some time.

"The original decision [to end the band in its current form] came when the other guys said they just couldn't do it anymore," he said. "There were family reasons for it. I respect their decision. I myself have a wife and stepdaughter in Australia, and my wife understands my lifestyle. I'm pretty much gone [most of the time], but always I come back and I give them my all. Nothing is more important to me."

According to Laiho, things came to a head when CHILDREN OF BODOM performed in Russia in October.

"We fought a lot within the band, and I can honestly admit that those fights were mainly my fault," he said. "They always started with some misunderstanding."

Relations within the band apparently got so bad during the Russian tour that it looked as if CHILDREN OF BODOM would break up right there and then. But cooler heads prevailed, and the group decided that the shows in Finland would be their last with the most recent formation.

CHILDREN OF BODOM's last album, "Hexed", came out in March 2019 via Nuclear Blast Records.
I'm the lost one chasing colors to the sun
Colors bleed but never fade
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Re: Bodom After Midnight

Message par Everflow »

Le groupe va sortir un premier et dernier EP posthume, enregistré avant la mort de Laiho.

Tracklisting:

“Paint The Sky With Blood”
“Payback’s A Bitch”
“Where Dead Angels Lie” (Dissection cover)
In 2020, the news was flooded: Led by the extremely talented Alexi Laiho, newly formed supergroup Bodom After Midnight was about to become the striking successor to legendary metal band Children Of Bodom. Their sonic plans were massive – including an EP release in the spring followed by a full-length album later in the year.

The EP, Paint The Sky With Blood (out April 23 via Napalm Records), was recorded in Finland back in 2020 and was meant to be the beginning of an exciting new chapter. Sadly, that chapter ended far too soon, and now, the three-track piece embodies a whole new meaning. Paint The Sky With Blood is an overwhelming tribute to an outstanding artist and an exceptional sonic heritage – matchless late guitarist/vocalist Alexi Laiho – and at the same time, a modern homage to the genre itself.

A storm of raging guitars and blaring drums merge with Alexi Laiho’s versatile vocal power, leading into a heavy attack – title track “Paint The Sky With Blood” – opening the 14 minute EP of the same name. The track is strikingly reminiscent of early-Children Of Bodom elements, while also adding exciting modern influences into the fold. Second stunner “Payback’s A Bitch” and its massive riffing are on a quest for retribution, delivering a hard-hitting, second to none offense. The interplay of Alexi Laiho, guitarist Daniel Freyberg, drummer Waltteri Väyrynen (Paradise Lost), bassist Mitja Toivonen (ex-Santa Cruz) and live keyboardist Vili Itäpelto is not only a testament to the band's extraordinary musical ability, but also showcases their skill in deftly incorporating a variety of genre influences.

Closing cover track “Where Dead Angels Lie” is an absolute triumph – originally performed by Swedish extreme metal formation Dissection, the track shines as a timeless classic with a new edge. Eerie riffs and vocals alternating between menacing murmurs and characteristic guttural, distorted vocals stay faithful to the original while branding this version with an undeniable Bodom After Midnight punch.

Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Le testament vidéo de Laiho, son dernier clip.
D'un côté sa condition critique saute aux yeux, mais musicalement on sent qu'il avait envie d'envoyer un message. Le morceau est à la fois fouillé et in your face.

mike-polar
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par mike-polar »

C'est vrai qu'il n'avait pas l'air d'aller tres bien sur cette video. ça fait de la peine.

Par contre le morceau est tres bon. Je ne suis pas fan de COB et je connais donc tres mal leur discographie mais ca m'a l'air bien au-dessus des singles des derniers albums que j'ai pu entendre. Peut-être un poil plus traditionnel et moins moderne?
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

COB étaient déjà plus ou moins revenus à leur style d'origine sur le dernier album avant le split, Hexed.
Mais sur ce titre je dirais que c'est plus agressif (on retrouve même les vieilles influences black metal) et ça en sonnerait presque frais.
mike-polar
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par mike-polar »

Oui effectivement un petit cote black melo. Du coup la reprise de Dissection me paraît bien choisie ;)
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Un autre titre Bodomien.

Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Achille »

Effectivement. Putain ce groupe aurait pu avoir une jolie petit carrière :(
☞ ⁍ Bullet Club 4 Life ⁌ ☠
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
Set
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Message par Set »

Un live complet du 24/10/2020 assez correct niveau audio, ça le faisait carrément bien :(

Follow The Signs ...
Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Re: Bodom After Midnight

Message par Achille »

Achille a écrit :
28 avr. 2021, 10:00
Effectivement. Putain ce groupe aurait pu avoir une jolie petit carrière :(
Je m'auto-cite car je viens d'écouter l'EP et franchement les deux titres proposés sont bien cools... :,(
☞ ⁍ Bullet Club 4 Life ⁌ ☠
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
Répondre