Soul On Fire - The Music & Life Of Peter Steele

Tout l'art lié à la musique : paroles, concepts, pochettes, symboliques...

Modérateurs : Modérateurs du forum, Responsables / Animateurs de sections

Répondre
Mr. Gig
Defender of the Olympia
Defender of the Olympia

Message par Mr. Gig »

In February 2013, Jeff Wagner ("Mean Deviation: Four Decades Of Progressive Heavy Metal" book, former Metal Maniacs editor), author of the upcoming book "Soul On Fire - The Life And Music Of Peter Steele", spoke with Peter Steele's sisters, Cathy and Pam, about the do-it-yourself customizations of Peter's bass guitar, including the classic TYPE O NEGATIVE neon green, and the bungee shoulder strap.

"As a fan and fellow bass player, strumming and holding Peter's bass guitar was an honor," said Wagner. "It was also much heavier than I expected. Just having his bass in the room, you could feel his presence."

"Soul On Fire - The Life And Music Of Peter Steele" will be, in Wagner's words, "a thorough telling of Peter's life, from his "diaper days" to his death. It will not only include analysis of the music he created in TYPE O NEGATIVE and CARNIVORE — and the many triumphs and personal tribulations that came along with it — but also let fans in on the details of his early days. The book will also feature numerous images from throughout his life, on stage and off."

Wagner added: "Peter's fans miss him, and as a follower of his music since 1986, I'm proud to put together this tribute for them. While warring factions within the story have already been heard, my mission is simple: cut through the crap and tell one of the most extraordinary stories in modern music, with great respect to the subject himself."

Culled from a variety of sources, including recollections from bandmates, family, close friends and record label reps, "Soul On Fire" is an accurate account of Steele's creative genius and incredibly complex personality.

Steele was a visionary and a provocateur; a generous friend and a self-deprecating hedonist; a bandmate and a brother. His struggles with addiction and his acceptance of the Catholic faith he grew up with and then grew out of… all of this is surveyed and detailed within "Soul On Fire".

The book is due for publication in October.

Steele passed away on April 14, 2010 from heart failure. He was 48 years old.

"Going through a midlife crisis and having many things change very quickly made me realize my mortality," he told Decibel magazine in 2007. "And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere. I also can't believe that people like Stalin and Hitler are gonna go to the same place as Mother Teresa."

Steele was born Petrus T. Ratajczyk on January 4, 1962 in Brooklyn, New York. He stood 6' 7" (201 cm) tall, and had a low, bass-heavy voice, which was one of the most recognizable features in TYPE O NEGATIVE's music.

Before forming TYPE O NEGATIVE, Steele played for the metal group FALLOUT and the thrash band CARNIVORE.

Wagner is a music connoisseur and metal historian, and a former editor of Metal Maniacs magazine. He has penned incisive liner notes for releases by EMPEROR, POSSESSED, DARK ANGEL, CONFESSOR and others. A music industry professional since 1994 and a lifelong music obsessive, Wagner lives for what he writes about and writes about what he lives.

Et le bouquin en question :

When you're this gig, they call you...
...But you can't find the time
:,(
Graptemiss
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Graptemiss »

J'adore l'artiste, mais le type bof...Je pense quand même qu'il y a aura encore quelques fans ravies.

Et corrige-moi vite ce titre :fouet: (à moins qu'il ne s'agisse de Peter of Steel?)
Larry a écrit :
26 mars 2018, 15:17
Le principal problème de Luke Cage, c'est l'acteur. Il a une bonne tête, mais dès que le plan est un peu large, on le voit, bras ballants, comme un culturiste qui attend le bus, et ça c'est mauvais.
Mr. Gig
Defender of the Olympia
Defender of the Olympia

Message par Mr. Gig »

Et déjà un premier rebondissement, puisque les acolytes du regretté bassiste-chanteur-compositeur ne le voient pas de cet œil :
Jeff Wagner ("Mean Deviation: Four Decades Of Progressive Heavy Metal" book, former Metal Maniacs editor), is currently assembling his next book, "Soul On Fire - The Life And Music Of Peter Steele", about the late TYPE O NEGATIVE and CARNIVORE frontman who passed away on April 14, 2010 from heart failure at the age of 48.

Writing on the book's official Facebook page, Jeff says: "I'm disappointed in the recent decision of the surviving TYPE O NEGATIVE members to not cooperate in the telling of his story. Between January and April, I established contact several times with each of them. Despite e-mails and phone conversations which were cordial and, I thought, positive, they have made this decision for reasons still unclear.

"On the upside, more than 40 people have participated and shared thoughts, emotions and recollections for this project. This includes people verifiably close to Peter — family, close friends, music industry figures, members of FALLOUT, CARNIVORE and session musicians for TYPE O NEGATIVE. This book is being written in tribute to Peter and it is going forward at full steam.

"Josh, Kenny and Johnny have my contact information. The door is always open for them to take part, albeit prior to its release, currently scheduled for October 31st.

"I'd like to believe Peter is having a good laugh at all of us right now."

Steele was born Petrus T. Ratajczyk on January 4, 1962 in Brooklyn, New York. He stood 6' 7" (201 cm) tall, and had a low, bass-heavy voice, which was one of the most recognizable features in TYPE O NEGATIVE's music.

Before forming TYPE O NEGATIVE, Steele played for the metal group FALLOUT and the thrash band CARNIVORE.

"Going through a midlife crisis and having many things change very quickly made me realize my mortality," Steele told Decibel magazine in 2007. "And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere. I also can't believe that people like Stalin and Hitler are gonna go to the same place as Mother Teresa."

Wagner is a music connoisseur and metal historian, and a former editor of Metal Maniacs magazine. He has penned incisive liner notes for releases by EMPEROR, POSSESSED, DARK ANGEL, CONFESSOR and others. A music industry professional since 1994 and a lifelong music obsessive, Wagner lives for what he writes about and writes about what he lives.
Modifié en dernier par Mr. Gig le 11 avr. 2013, 01:42, modifié 2 fois.
When you're this gig, they call you...
...But you can't find the time
:,(
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Ce que j'aimerais lire c'est un best of de son humour corrosif décapant. :)
Ce mec aux origines très simples était un génie sur ce plan, en tout cas dans le monde du metal. Peut-être que ce bouquin permet de comprendre pourquoi...
I'm the lost one chasing colors to the sun
Colors bleed but never fade
Graptemiss
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Graptemiss »

Et il avait l'air très bien de sa personne, bien éduqué et tout. Posé. Que du bonheur. :)

Pas compris pourquoi les musicos ne voulaient pas collaborer, pas spécialement envie de déballer des trucs privés peut-être?
Larry a écrit :
Le principal problème de Luke Cage, c'est l'acteur. Il a une bonne tête, mais dès que le plan est un peu large, on le voit, bras ballants, comme un culturiste qui attend le bus, et ça c'est mauvais.
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Ilsa a écrit :Et il avait l'air très bien de sa personne, bien éduqué et tout. Posé. Que du bonheur. :)
C'est ironique je présume? Vu ce que tu en disais plus haut.

Ben je ne sais pas, il y a tellement de provocation dans le personnage qu'il est parfois difficile d'établir le vrai du faux, et donc un bouquin étayé et circonstancié pourrait justement permettre de démêler tout ça. En tout cas je pense que le type est loin d'être aussi évident que son personnage a bien voulu le montrer.
Graptemiss
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Graptemiss »

Everflow a écrit :
Ilsa a écrit :Et il avait l'air très bien de sa personne, bien éduqué et tout. Posé. Que du bonheur. :)
C'est ironique je présume? Vu ce que tu en disais plus haut.
Non non du tout, je parlais de deux choses différentes. Le type en lui-même est agréable à écouter, je me souviens du peu d'entretiens que j'avais vus et il m'avait toujours donné une impression de calme et d'intelligence.

Par contre, je n'irai pas pour autant acheter un bouquin sur sa vie :)
Larry a écrit :
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Ah OK. :)
Graptemiss
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Graptemiss »

...le forum refuse mon "s" à "vus", mais vous l'aurez tous lu bien sûr.
Larry a écrit :
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

En effet il y avait un petit souci, c'est corrigé.
Répondre