Virgin Steele

Les artistes du présent ou du passé : débats, albums/carrière, découvertes...

Modérateurs : Modérateurs du forum, Responsables / Animateurs de sections

3 meilleurs albums de Virgin Steele?

Virgin Steele (1982)
Aucun vote
Guardians of the Flame (1983)
11%
Noble Savage (1986)
11%
Age of Consent (1988)
Aucun vote
Life Among the Ruins (1993)
Aucun vote
The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part I (1994)
Aucun vote
The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part II (1995)
11%
Invictus (1998)
11%
The House of Atreus Act I (1999)
33%
The House of Atreus Act II (2000)
11%
The Book of Burning (2002)
Aucun vote
Visions of Eden (2006)
11%
The Black Light Bacchanalia (2010)
Aucun vote
Nocturnes of Hellfire & Damnation (2015)
Aucun vote

Nombre total de votes : 9

Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Dernier message de la page précédente :

La réédition de Life Among the Ruins qui sort le mois prochain :
SPV/Steamhammer will re-release VIRGIN STEELE's "Life Among The Ruins" on June 18 in Europe and July 17 in North America. This two-CD digipak reissue comes with massive bonus tracks and a huge booklet with new liner notes and previously unseen photos by the band's lead singer, David DeFeis.

VIRGIN STEELE's fifth full-length studio album, "Life Among The Ruins" was originally released in 1993 and was the band's first album to feature bassist Rob DeMartino, who replaced Joe O'Reilly, retired from the scene.

Commented DeFeis: "This 2012 version will be in digipak form and contain not one but two discs with a large amount of extra ingredients. On the first disc, we include five rare and unvarnished acoustic recordings, plus a full band bonus track. On disc 2, we have included 20 tracks. These tracks consist of a large amount of newly recorded material completed just this week, as well as alternate mixes of some of the album's original tracks. And, in addition, we have also included a never-released track from somewhere around that period of time. All the material has been remastered, and the package will feature copious liner notes, photos and unique packaging."

I'm the lost one chasing colors to the sun
Colors bleed but never fade
Cardinal-Sin
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par Cardinal-Sin »

il ferait mieux de nous sortir une compilation des bonus tracks dans un coffret, parcequ'entre toutes ces rééditions je suis sur qu'il doit me manquer plein de trucs :D
:metallian: :papy: :metallian: BY STEEL WE RULE - http://www.metalofsteel.ch// :metallian: :papy: :metallian:
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

C'est clair que DeFeis sort toujours du chapeau un nombre hallucinant d'inédits et faces B, à se demander s'il ne les compose pas spécialement pour les rééditions. :D
Yathin Lizzy
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par Yathin Lizzy »

Everflow a écrit :C'est clair que DeFeis sort toujours du chapeau un nombre hallucinant d'inédits et faces B, à se demander s'il ne les compose pas spécialement pour les rééditions. :D
Ah mais sur les rééditions de Noble Savage et de Age of Consent, il est clairement expliqué que certains inédits ont été spécialement composés pour les rééditions. Et j'en reviens à ce que je disais plus haut où dans un autre topic. Ces morceaux sont souvent meilleurs que ceux sortis sur les deux derniers albums studios. C'est à n'y rien comprendre.

Pour en revenir à cette réédition, je la prendrai, car je n'ai plus l'album en CD et si il y a de bons titres bonus ça peut le faire.
L'album en lui même reste médiocre. Tres orienté hard us, mais de piètre qualité.
mimimimimimimimi
mimimimimimimimi
mimimimimimimimi
mimimimimimimimi
Hellion
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Message par Hellion »

Ah non moi je le trouve excellent ce life among the ruines ! Hard bluesy 80's...

Donc je vais me le prendre... car je ne l'ai pas en cd non plus... et il semble vraiment bien bien rempli. :)

Les "inédits inédits" de Age sont bien ?
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Je ne sais pas, mais tu peux les écouter ici ;)

http://www.deezer.com/fr/music/virgin-s ... nt-1586557
Hellion
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Message par Hellion »

Yeah bon plan ! je ne pensais pas le trouver là...
merci :cheers:
Mr. Sandman
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par Mr. Sandman »

Les ré-éditions continuent :
- The Marriage of Heaven & Hell Part I (1994) et Part II (1995) ont été réunis sur un double CD agrémentés de divers bonus.
- Invictus (1998) sera augmenté d'un 2ème CD bonus de 79 minutes nommé Ghost Harvest (The Spectral Vintage Sessions).
SPV annoncera prochainement les dates de sortie.
R.I.P Ronnie James Dio ! :(

"La culture, c'est comme l'amour. Il faut y aller à petits coups au début pour bien en jouir plus tard."
Pierre Desproges
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

C'est en train de devenir le groupe possédant le plus de rééditions différentes au monde. :D :euh:
Yathin Lizzy
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par Yathin Lizzy »

Mr. Sandman a écrit :Les ré-éditions continuent :
- The Marriage of Heaven & Hell Part I (1994) et Part II (1995) ont été réunis sur un double CD agrémentés de divers bonus.
- Invictus (1998) sera augmenté d'un 2ème CD bonus de 79 minutes nommé Ghost Harvest (The Spectral Vintage Sessions).
SPV annoncera prochainement les dates de sortie.
J'avais zappé cette annonce. Je me demandais justement tout récemment si ils envisageaient de rééditer la trilogie des Marriage.
Si les morceaux bonus sont du niveau de ceux proposés sur les 3 précédentes rééditions ça vaudra le coup.
Ils n'ont pas fait les choses à moitié sur ces dernières.
Avec le recul , Life amongs the ruins n'est pas si mal.

En revanche les 2 premiers albums avec Jack Starr, réédités il y a quelques années (contre l'accord de De Feis et paradoxalement sa participation) sont devenus de plus en plus rare.
J'ai mis la main sur Guardian of the flame, il me manque le premier.

Dommage aussi que le groupe n'est jamais eu l'occasion de sortir de live, malgré ce qui avait été annoncé il y a quelques années.
mimimimimimimimi
mimimimimimimimi
mimimimimimimimi
mimimimimimimimi
Mr. Sandman
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par Mr. Sandman »

Le détail de ses ré-éditions :
SPV/Steamhammer will re-release VIRGIN STEELE's The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell I+II and Invictus. These two-CD digipak re-release both come with special bonus material and a huge booklet with new liner notes and unseen photos by David DeFeis.

Release dates
Scandinavia: June 11th
Germany: June 13th
Europe: June 16th
North America: June 24th

David DeFeis comments on the re-releases: "It is an honor, and it is my great pleasure to be able to re-release with SPV, The two Marriage Of Heaven and Hell albums, and the Invictus album this year. These albums loom large in our Catalogue, and so much of our blood, sweat & history can be found within the fabric of these Works. In addition to the original running order titles we will also present various bonus tracks...The Marriage Of Heaven and Hell discs contain two live tracks recorded in Germany during "The Marriage" Tour, plus some new songs. Originally on the bonus disc for Invictus we had planned to issue this new 19 song Ghost Harvest collection that I had spoken about in the latest interviews. That plan has changed. Ghost Harvest, (which has now grown into more than 1 CD at this time!!!)....will instead be included in the upcoming box-set...(Please See further down)...and the bonus disc inside Invictus, which bears the title: Fire Spirits, will contain over the top acoustic versions of various songs mainly taken from The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell and Invictus albums... (but a few others appear as well)....It will also contain a brand new track recorded this week. The performances on Fire Spirits were captured live and are raw, heartfelt and genuine. We wanted to show those who missed out on the acoustic gigs we had done, some of what went on there, and to also express how powerful these stripped down versions can be. With the appearance of these re-issues and the inclusion of all the various bonus tracks contained within these collections, we give thanks and salute all of You who have taken this Barbaric-Romantic ride with us....we hope you will enjoy these Works that celebrate the interaction and chemistry of the Group, and which are testament to the enduring strength of our Friendship..."

The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell Pt.I+II tracklisting:

CD1
'I Will Come For You'
'Weeping Of The Spirits'
'Blood And Gasoline'
'Self Crucifixion'
'Last Supper'
'Warriors Lament'
'Trail Of Tears'
'The Raven Song'
'Forever Will I Roam'
'I Wake Up Screaming'
'House Of Dust'
'Blood Of The Saints'
'Life Among The Ruins'
'The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell'
'Angela`s Castle' (bonus track)
'The Sword Of Damocles' (bonus track)

CD2
'A Symphony Of Steele'
'Crown Of Glory (Unscarred)'
'From Chaos To Creation'
'Twilight Of The Gods'
'Rising Unchained'
'Transfiguration'
'Prometheus The Fallen One'
'Emalaith'
'Strawgirl'
'Devil/Angel'
'Unholy Water'
'Victory Is Mine'
'The Marriage Of heaven And Hell' (Revisited)
'A Greater Burning Of Innocence' (bonus track)
'Life Among The Ruins' - Live (bonus track)
'I Wake Up Screaming' - Live (bonus track)

Invictus tracklisting:

CD1
'The Blood Of Vengeance
'Invictus
'Mind, Body, Spirit
'In The Arms Of The Death God
'Through Blood And Fire
'Sword Of The Gods
'God Of Our Sorrows
'Vow Of Honour
'Defiance
'Dust From The Burining
'Amaranth
'A Whisper Of Death
'Dominion Day
'A Shadow Of Fear
'Theme From The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell
'Veni, Vidi, Vici

CD2 - Bonus
"Dark Distant Future' Medley #1
'A Whipser Of Death (Intro)'
'Unholy Water'
'Trail Of Tears'
'With Vengeance Divine' Medley #2
'Rising Unchained'
'Veni, Vidi, Vici'
'Defiance'
'I Will Come For You'
'Victory Is Mine'
'Hail The Conguering Hero' Medley #3
'Serpent`s Kiss (Intro)'
'A Whisper Of Death' (Main section of song)
'Great Sword Of Flame'
'A Whipser Of Death' (Reprise)
'Emalaith'
'The Burning Of Rome'
'Perfect Mansions (Mountains Of The Sun)'
'Do You Walk With God' (new song)

Furthermore Virgin Steele is celebrating their 35th anniversary this year. In autumn the band will release a 35th Anniversary Box Set including the CDs The Book Of Burning and Hymns To Victory as well as the new recordings named the Ghost Harvest - The Spectral Vintage Sessions. On top the box will include an extensive book and a poster. And expect a totally new studio album and live activities for the beginning of 2015.
R.I.P Ronnie James Dio ! :(

"La culture, c'est comme l'amour. Il faut y aller à petits coups au début pour bien en jouir plus tard."
Pierre Desproges
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

LeMetalLesFesses a écrit :J'ai mis la main sur Guardian of the flame, il me manque le premier.
Sur le premier il n'y a que 2 titres qui valent le coup je trouve, ou disons à connaître pour tout fan du groupe : "Children of the Storm", un de leurs meilleurs et réenregistré sur le Book of Burning, ainsi qu'éventuellement la chanson éponyme.
Le reste peut s'écouter mais c'est vraiment du :cheese: ... :)

Dark Schneider
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Dark Schneider »

Everflow a écrit :
LeMetalLesFesses a écrit :J'ai mis la main sur Guardian of the flame, il me manque le premier.
Sur le premier il n'y a que 2 titres qui valent le coup je trouve, ou disons à connaître pour tout fan du groupe : "Children of the Storm", un de leurs meilleurs et réenregistré sur le Book of Burning, ainsi qu'éventuellement la chanson éponyme.
Le reste peut s'écouter mais c'est vraiment du :cheese: ... :)

Je suis à 75% d'accord avec toi :) :

http://metal.nightfall.fr/index.php?idchoix=651

"Children Of The Storm" est vraiment le titre que l'on retient de cet album. Par contre je ne trouve pas "Virgin Steele" très intéressant, je préfère la power ballade "Still in Love with you".
Metal Knight
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Metal Knight »

Un interview sympa en anglais, pas sur VS, mais sur les autres projets de Defeis ;)
http://swordsandtequila.blogspot.de/201 ... s-aka.html

2016/02/12
EXORCIST - interview with David DeFeis aka Damian Rath

Yes. It is finally happening. EXORCIST's only one legendary cult classic "Nightmare Theatre" is being officialy reissued. As it's hard to keep up to date with all the rumors and legends about this album, I decided to discuss them with the man behind EXORCIST, Mr. Damian Rath, better known the the Metal world as David DeFeis, vocalist and brain of the - even more legendary - New York based band, VIRGIN STEELE. David was also kind enough to answer few questions about otehr projects he was involved in, such as the ORIGINAL SIN album, or the second PILEDRIVER album "Stay Ugly". So, Metal maniacs of the world - enjoy this interview, and let's hope we will hear something new from EXORCIST in the future!

The very first official reissue of the "Nightmare Theatre" LP will finally see the light of the day in May of this year. Why did it take so long? I know you were receiving offers to reissue this album for at least 20 years...

For the past 5 years or so I had been receiving on average about 3 offers a month for the album, so I was aware of the interest, but there was never really time to prepare the album properly and think about how it could be resurrected until now. I was always too busy with one project or another or concerts or something else these past several years, but after completing VIRGIN STEELE’s very large 29 song "Nocturnes Of Hellfire & Damnation" album, there was finally a window of opportunity. I felt that if I was going to do it, I wanted it to be extra special, not something like another bootleg, but something that captured the spirit of that time and place and shed a new dark light on it.

The reissue will be available as the limited edition LP, and as the double CD. Let's start with the LP. Will that be exactly the same material like this one released in 1986, or it will be re-mastered or remixed version? I'm asking as the truth is the original LP sounds really amazing, and it's hard to imagine anyone could do anything better there!

The vinyl LP has been re-mastered and there is one bonus track on it, called "Spin Your Head Around Backwards". The re-masters faithfully capture the attitude of the original pressing, while presenting a bit more punch in the mid-range section. The overall clarity has improved. I think it is all there and more.

Will you include any bonus tracks on the LP?

Yes and I did as I mentioned a moment ago. That bonus track is very over the top and encapsulates the entire mood of the album in five minutes and one second. It is music to remove one’s one head to! And it sounds like a demonic radio advert for the Indianapolis 500 car race. I’m quite fond of that one, and I really enjoyed creating it.

The CD version of the album will include 3 different mixes of the entire thing. You called them "The Father", "The Son" and "The Unholy Spirit". I was skeptical about this idea, until I heard all these versions: each one of them reveal something different, it's basically like watching the same movie, but directed by someone else. Did you do all these three mixes yourself?

Version 1, "The Father" was re-mastered by Patrick Engel at Temple Of Disharmony studio. Version 2 "The Son" was re-mastered by me at my studio, and version 3, "The Unholy Spirit", was completely remixed and mastered here in my studio by me from the original multi-track tapes. Yes, I agree each version brings out different colors or details, especially the re-mixed version 3 "The Unholy Spirit", as that afforded the most freedom to do that with. Version 3 also contains the most bonus material.

I didn't catch all the nuances yet, so tell me please: are there any alterations in the tracks, except the mix, which already make them all sound different? I noticed that some vocal lines are different, but are there also different lyrics, different riffs or different drum patterns?

Regarding version 3, "The Unholy Spirit" version there are tons of different things happening everywhere. Different solos, some different vocal bits including the occasional different lyric or vocal adlib, and yes a few different drum and bass bits. Version 2 "The Son" was re-mastered from some different mixes than what is on version 1, so there are some extra demonic bits in tracks like "The Invocation" or the end of "Black Mass" for example, also "The Banishment", and "Consuming Flames Of Redemption" are longer and somewhat different. The most noticeable thing between "The Son" version and "The Father" version is that "The Son" is beefier, louder and a bit more aggressive sonically. But in terms of different bits… Version 3 "The Unholy Spirit" is by far the most different because all those tracks were re-mixed, not simply re-mastered, so there was more material to draw from.

Are these original mixes you had in your archives since the '80s, or it's something recent?

Everything was re-mastered fresh for this re-issue, and all the re-mixes on version 3 are all completely new as well. Everything was completed and finalized over these past few months. In going through the multi-track tapes for the remix process I discovered that I had done a few different types of vocals for some of the tracks and thought it might be interesting to include some of that here and there. Plus I was able to bring out different characters in the drums, bass and guitars and also in those interlude pieces.

The double CD will also include several bonus tracks, which didn't land on the original album. Can you say few words about them?

Sure. In addition to "Spin Your Head Around Backwards", we have "Malevolent Entities", which is a psychotic demonic possession type track featuring bizarre piano and a possessed individual being eaten alive both physically and psychically. There is a 3 Part Suite called "The Dark Magick Inscribed Suite (A Poem In 3 Parts)". This features the tracks: "Spiked Vengeance" which is a fast thrashing type track with maniacal fills, and this segues into "Spellcraft" which is a kind of ethereal movie soundtrack type of piece, and is the centerpiece of this work. I wrote the lyrics or poem to all three parts first and then immediately began writing the music. "Spellcraft" is further divided into various "scenes" to suggest the movie or film-score idea. This one is largely about the Salem Witch Trials of 1692, and even though it is largely an atmospheric piece it still manages to include a frantic bass solo section. "Spellcraft" segues into Part 3’s "Malefic Wine (A Dark Magick Reprise)". This one is a reprise of the song "Spiked Vengeance". It was completely re-recorded, all different performances, and is a different idea or reaction to how the first song is presented. The madness… or the spirits come home to roost… which is why there is that reprise. In keeping with the lyrical themes of the original record, these tracks reinforce the idea of psychic attack and the use of various types of evil spells. What is rather interesting about this re-issue which in addition to everything else really sets it apart as not another bootleg, is that due to the new mastering and especially in the re-mixed version, you can hear more of the lyrics, and… you can now read the lyrics. For years most people had no idea what was sung or howled… so that is a pretty cool feature. But anyway let me continue talking about the bonus tracks…The tracks "In The Name Of The Father", "In The Name Of The Son" and "The Unholy Spirit", are meant to be short introductions or chapter markers to set the mood for all that is to follow and to differentiate the 3 different versions. They are atmospheric bits that again set tone and mood. The entire work as you suggested earlier is meant to appear like a movie. The track "It Is Finished…" signifies that the album is over… Yet it is not… as that one actually introduces all the extra, extra bonus material. We have "Spin Your Head Around Back Wards (Take 666)", which is an even more insane version of the song, featuring an extended beginning with demons, and crazy guitar bits and a short drum solo. And last but not least as I mentioned before, when going through the multi-tracks I found different vocal performances of some of the songs. These were essentially the guide vocals that I had done while we were laying down the music. Sometimes I am using more of my "normal" voice on them, so they give somewhat of a glimpse or an idea of what might have become of these songs had we saved these tracks for the follow up to VIRGIN STEELE’s "Noble Savage" album. I am talking about the songs "Queen Of The Dead (Alternate Vox Version)" and "Death By Bewitchment (Alternate Vox Version)". You can pretty much easily tell that it is me screaming away there.

Let's move back in time a little bit. EXORCIST never been a real full time band, but a studio project you did right after recording "Noble Savage" with VIRGIN STEELE. What's the real story: that you did it all for fun, or you wanted to generate some cash to pay off an old VIRGIN STEELE manager (I heard such story many years ago)?

All of the above and then some… We definitely had fun doing it! But yes also there were some monetary concerns. According to our manager, apparently we had incurred a fair amount of debt at that time, and we were told that there could be a way to excuse or satisfy this debt. He said that if we created some Works he would forgive such debt. At that time, we were famous for renting cars and getting them towed away, consuming large amounts of sake and racking up red wine bills… and all such manner of excess… So both Edward and I agreed to write some material for several projects in order to free up the VIRGIN STEELE account.

How do you remember recording session of "Nightmare Theatre"? Was it hard to switch to this totally different way of singing? Wasn't your throat bleeding at the end of the day?

Yes, I remember everything with great clarity and detail! We recorded everything live in the studio with all of us playing together. After we recorded all the tracks I then went back in and re-sang all the songs straight away once again after the music was laid down. I did this because I felt that what I sang during the initial tracking was too "normal" or too much like my usual singing voice for the record, and also because on some of the tracks there was too much guitar bleeding into the vocal track, because I was often standing right next to Edward’s guitar amp while conducting the group and doing the guide vocals, and his amp was incredibly loud during the tracking. I came up with that style of singing on the spot because I had to. I was not originally supposed to sing on the album. A gentleman named Sal Gibson (not his real name), who played the bass guitar on the second PILEDRIVER album “Stay Ugly”, was supposed to be the vocalist. I had given him a cassette with my singing, for him to learn the songs, but the day before we were scheduled to go into the studio, he came by my place and said that he couldn’t do it… He had had some kind of epiphany and thought that it was too satanic or demonic or some such thing for him to do. So… Since I already knew the songs and I was already rehearsing with the group, it made sense that I do it. The manager we had at the time was adamant that the vocals should not be recognizable as me, so I invented a new approach. My thought was to somehow conjure up the combination of the sound or the spirit of a pirate, Lemmy, and a Ghoul or the Crypt-keeper which consisted of me wailing like a burning warlock or witch and howling into the mic with a beer can in front of my face. No I was vocally OK at the end of the day, because as long as it takes to hear the album was about how long it took to record the album… it went very fast.

Is that true you recorded and mixed everything in just three days?

Yes. It was more like two and a half days. We did all the music and vocals the first day and then on day two, we did any additional solos that needed to be done, and then we began mixing. Between day 2 and 3 we finished up whatever mixing was needed to be done, and I also did all those interlude pieces on day 2 and 3… things like "The Trial", "The Hex", etc. We were very well rehearsed going in to do the album. I think we did about 3 weeks of solid rehearsals. Therefore the tracking went very fast. There was another late night session for another band scheduled in the studio that last evening that is why I say it was more like two and a half days, as we had to be out of there because if I remember correctly there was a kind of glam rock band coming in that needed the room to work on their album. We were fine with it… we were done. Everything came together we finished and went off to a night of roaring in the Rock Clubs!

And what about the cover artwork: was it something planned and you had the whole concept in your head, or it was made spontaneously?

That was the idea of an artist friend. We wanted something that represented what we looked like and felt like at the time… And that was it…

The album was originally released on Cobra Records. How did you land in their roster?

That had to do with the management we had at the time.

You were able to keep the secret who is who in EXORCIST for many, many years, actually first rumors started to pop out somewhere in the '90s. But my question is, why did you actually want to keep it in secret? Maybe you have different opinion, but if I would record an album like that, I would be telling about it left and right, and I would be very proud...!

Let me be clear, it isn’t VIRGIN STEELE in its entirety as many people think it is. Yes, I am on there and so is Edward for sure… We weren’t really all that secretive about it right away. We did the album and then basically forgot about it and carried on with life in VIRGIN STEELE and elsewhere… We started touring more and were busy with recording other albums. But once we realized that it had started developing this mystique we decided to leave it at that. Sure we were proud of it and we still are, but I think also at the time we might have been hesitant because we didn’t want people to think that we were jumping on any kind of thrash bandwagon, because that was definitely not the case at all. If you listen to VIRGIN STEELE you can hear that we always had an interest in that type of thing, from the atmospheric demonic section of "Angel Of Light", to songs like "Fight Tooth And Nail", and all the later things we did like "Invictus", etc.

And when did you realize that "Nightmare Theatre" became a Metal classic?

That was much more recent… Probably within the past 10 years or so. While I did realize that it was a cult classic, fairly early on, I wasn’t really aware of the real deep devotion that people had to it until actually much later on. In truth "Nightmare Theatre" didn’t receive as much love back then when it was first released, as it does now.

Let's stay in 1986 a bit longer... You did one more album that year, with another phantom-like band, named ORIGINAL SIN. How this project have started?

We actually did that album a week later. The "Nightmare Theatre" album was recorded on January 19th, 20th and part of the 21st, and we went back in to do the ORIGINAL SIN album on January 25th, 1986. We had been rehearsing both albums at the same time. The ORIGINAL SIN album was made for the same reasons I explained regarding the making of the EXORCIST "Nightmare Theatre" album. We also did the second PILEDRIVER album "Stay Ugly" as part of that agreement.

Vocals on the ORIGINAL SIN album were recorded by your sister, Danae. If I remember correctly, she is an opera singer? Was it hard to convince her to sing this kind of music?

No, Danae is not an Opera singer. Danae is a Rock singer. My other sister Doreen is the Opera singer. I gave Danae a tape of me singing the tracks and she learned the songs that way. We took her into the studio and she did all the vocals in one evening. It was the same scenario as making the EXORCIST album. Do all the music first live with me dong the guide vocals on day 1, then on day 2 we brought Danae in and did whatever background vocals were needed and solos or weird bits and then we mixed it all later that night. I recall that we did the vocals on that album the day that the Challenger Space Shuttle blew up… Danae loves to sing so she was cool with the style, the lyrics and all. She still enjoys the album.

You were very busy in 1986, as except producing and recording keyboards for the BURNING STARR album "No Turning Back!", you also produced the second PILEDRIVER album, "Stay Ugly", for which you also recorded some vocals - and for which Ed from VIRGIN STEELE, with whom you also did the EXORCIST and ORIGINAL SIN albums, recorded all the guitar tracks. How did it happen you were involved in doing this album?

Again that was the arrangement to free up the VS accounts… Edward and I wrote the "Stay Ugly" album, and we recorded that one with my friend Rob Esposito on drums, (called The Hammer on the LP), and our friend Sal Gibson (not his real name) on bass. His real name is Mike Paccione. We did all the music again on day 1 and on day two we flew in Gordon "The Piledriver". He did all his vocals in a few hours and we took him back to the airport and he flew home to Canada, and we then returned to the studio. I remember that we melted the tubes in the Marshall heads that we were using during the recording… Everything was on 11, 12, or 13!

So let's sum it up. In 1986 you recorded and/or produced albums from BURNING STARR, ORIGINAL SIN, EXORCIST and PILEDRIVER. Did I miss something?

I believe I also assisted with the mix on the DAMIEN THORNE "Sign Of The Jackal" LP that year or at least around that time. I also did an EP for a guitar player named Mark Dennaro that turned out really well and featured my friend John Blaze from SWIFT KICK on vocals. I got him that gig for Dennaro. I also did a really excellent sounding demo for a band called FOXX that featured EXORCIST’s Geoff Fontaine on drums.

So I missed something (laugh). Well, look: you re-recorded five of the ORIGINAL SIN songs with VIRGIN STEELE, and if we will put away 2 songs that were short instrumental solos, it means we have just 3 songs left. Didn't you think about releasing separate VIRGIN STEELE album with the entire "Sin Will Find You Out" LP being re-recorded?

No, we never thought of doing it that way… We just decided now and again to pull some songs that we particularly enjoyed from there and rewrote or reworked them in some way. I especially like how "Conjuration Of The Watcher" with that new orchestral middle section turned out… But all were enjoyable to re-do and to be a part of.

As the "Nightmare Theatre" is finally coming out, when can we expect to hear and see the ORIGINAL SIN album reissue?

I believe that the High Roller Records label is interested in doing that. I’m looking forward to diving into that one as well as soon as possible!

And do you have in your archives any unreleased ORIGINAL SIN recordings?

There are some tracks…

Awesome! By the way, I always wanted to ask you this question: were you, or are you a fan of the Hammer Films and Amicus film productions? "To The Devil A Daughter", except being title of one of the ORIGINAL SIN songs, is also a title of one of the classic Hammer movies. Were the lyrics inspired by that movie?

I am a fan of all things horror, so yes. But that song wasn’t particularly inspired by that movie. That song came about because the original title for both the album and the name of the group was supposed to be SATAN’S DAUGHTERS. I had this whole concept based around that idea. So the song made sense as their birth song. The powers that be at the time thought this was way too over the top… So it was changed to ORIGINAL SIN.

Let's go back to EXORCIST. You keep on playing occasional shows with Ed Pursino (aka Marc Dorian in EXORCIST) and Mark Edwards (aka Geoff Fontaine in EXORCIST) as the CARNIVAL OF SOULS. I know you keep on playing bunch of cover songs, but also some EXORCIST songs. Do you think it may actually happen that you will do some shows as EXORCIST...?

I would like to do it if we could do a proper production…a real theatrical event, not just a concert. I want to do the full Black Mass and everything…

INTERVIEW BY BART GABRIEL
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Les 2 "House of Atreus" sont réédités ensemble, avec le EP Magick Fire Music, le tout sur 3 CD.

Aucun inédit, aucun intérêt (hormis pour ceux qui veulent découvrir bien sûr).

SPV / Steamhammer is proud to re-release on May 20th, 2016 Virgin Steele's "The House Of Atreus Act I & Act II." This massive 3 disc re-release comes with bonus material and a huge booklet with new liner notes and unseen photos by David DeFeis. He comments on the re-release:

"We are honoured & proud to announce that on May 20th Steamhammer SPV will re-release our barbaric-romantic epic metal opera 'The House Of Atreus!' It will be issued in a special 3 CD digi-pak format. CD 1 will contain the entire Act 1 album, and compact discs 2 and 3 will contain the entire Act 2 album, plus the "Magick Fire Music" EP tracks.

"'The House Of Atreus' was a major milestone release for us and we are excited to have the opportunity to present it to the public once again. In addition to its appearance as a full length album, this Work was also presented live onstage as a fully realized theatrical production by the Landestheatre Schwaben, and the tour we completed for it was one of our longest and most ambitious tours ever.

"Those who might have missed either the album, the tour or the theatrical performance, can now once again experience this Work in all its blood-drenched glory and murderous majesty once again..."

CD 1:
1. Kingdom Of The Fearless (the Destruction Of Troy)
2. Blaze Of Victory (the Watchman's Song)
3. Through The Ring Of Fire
4. Prelude In A Minor (the Voyage Home)
5. Death Darkly Closed Their Eyes (the Messenger's Song)
6. In Triumph Or Tragedy
7. Return Of The King
8. Flames Of The Black Star (the Arrows Of Herakles)
9. Narcissus
10. And Hecate Smiled
11. A Song Of Prophecy
12. Child Of Desolation
13. G Minor Invention (descent Into Death's Twilight Kingdom)
14. Day Of Wrath
15. Great Sword Of Flame
16. The Gift Of Tantalos
17. Iphigenia In Hades
18. The Fire God
19. Garden Of Lamentation
20. Agony And Shame
21. Gate Of Kings
22. Via Sacra

CD 2:
1. Wings Of Vengeance
2. Hymn To The Gods Of Night
3. Fire Of Ecstasy
4. The Oracle Of Apollo
5. The Voice As Weapon
6. Moira
7. Nemesis (instrumental)
8. The Wine Of Violence
9. A Token Of My Hatred
10. Summoning The Powers

CD 3:
1. Flames Of Thy Power (from Blood They Rise)
2. Arms Of Mercury
3. By The Gods
4. Areopagos (instrumental)
5. The Judgment Of The Son
6. Hammer The Winds
7. Guilt Or Innocence (instrumental)
8. The Fields Of Asphodel
9. When The Legends Die
10. Anemone (withered Hopes... Forsaken)
11. The Waters Of Acheron (instrumental)
12. Fantasy And Fugue In D Minor (the Death Of Orestes) (instrumental)
13. Resurrection Day (the Finale)
14. Gate Of Kings (acoustic Version)
15. Agamemnon's Last Hour
16. Great Sword Of Flame (alternate Version)
17. Prometheus The Fallen One (re-mix)
18. Flames Of Thy Power (from Blood They Rise) (alternate Mix)
19. Wings Of Vengeance (alternate Mix)
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Encore des rééditions, des 2 premiers albums, avec des bonus sans aucun rapport pour certains...

Répondre