Leslie West (MOUNTAIN) 1945 - 2020

Rendons hommage au talent des artistes qui nous ont quittés.

Modérateurs : Modérateurs du forum, Responsables / Animateurs de sections

Répondre
olivier64
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par olivier64 »

Le guitariste de MOUNTAIN est décédé aujourd'hui des suites d'une crise cardiaque. Il avait déjà eu des gros problèmes de santé, avec une jambe amputée, conséquence de son diabète.

Légende du Hard Rock américain de la fin des années 60 et du début des années 70. Il avait un son unique, un des plus beaux du Rock. RIP.

olivier64
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par olivier64 »

Réactions de musiciens, dans tous les styles (Hard, Heavy, Blues, Death, Thrash, Rock) :

Michael Schenker :
"My dear Lesley West
You were my hero. What you did with your lead guitar playing was out of this world and you were the kindest man I have known. Such a lovely character with so much love.
I am so sad that you are gone but I know that you are in a better place now. Enjoy heaven and keep me with you in spirit. I am looking forward to meet you again when my time comes. We will make heavenly music together. See you then.
I will never forget you my hero. I am your little brother. Thank you for what you have done for me. Rest in peace my dearest friend.
All my love to you and all my condolences to your loved ones. From the depth of my heart.
I will always love you."

Geezer Butler :
"Sad to hear of Leslie West’s passing. Such a lovely bloke. He was fantastic to us when Sabbath supported Mountain on our first US tour. He came to see us at Mohegan Sun, even though he was wheelchair bound. Mississippi Queen one of, if not the, greatest riff of all time. RIP"

Ace Frehley :
“I lost a dear friend yesterday, he was Leslie West the lead guitarist from “Mountain”...Probably best known for their hit “Mississippi Queen”...He was an amazing guitarist, and I was awaiting a call from him, since I did a remake of one of his songs on “Origins Vol. 2”...but now I’ll never get a chance to hear what he thought of the cover...It’s so sad, we’ve lost so many great guitar 🎸players this year...my prayers are with his family & friends during this holiday season! He was one of the great guitarists and a good friend over the years!!! He will be missed in the Rock & Roll Community! I’m sure he’s up in R&R Heaven w/all the other musicians we’ve lost!🙁...R.I.P Mr. West! 🎸😉❤️🙏

Tony Iommi :
" So sad to hear the news of Leslie West's passing. He was a great guitar player and his band MOUNTAIN were one of the first band that SABBATH supported on our early tour of America. We struck up a great relationship on that tour - they were a really good band and Leslie's playing and sound was just superb and he was a great singer too! When they came to the UK to tour he brought a gift of a similar Gibson to what he used on stage ....he was a really nice guy and will be sadly missed. RIP"

Peter Frampton :
"Leslie West was the very first US guitar player I met when Humble Pie opened for Mountain here. Leslie’s playing and sound had me glued watching everything he did. He was a sweetheart and an extremely funny man. I love you Leslie and will miss you dear friend. RIP"

Joe Satriani :
"R.I.P. Leslie West. We had some great times together onstage and some legendary laughs everyday on tour. Thank you for all the great music. My deepest condolences to the West family"

Neal Schon !
"Wow ... I’m very saddened to hear this terrible news about Leslie West. He was a major influence on my playing. God Bless you Brother.. you are Soaring with Angels 🙏🏽♥️"

David Coverdale :
"R.I.P Leslie West...Yet another sad loss...I’ve never tired of listening to Mountain...🙏🙏🙏❌❌❌"

Vernonreid :
"One of the GOAT.
This year will not be looked upon with fondness outside of marriages & childbirth.
Rest In Chords Of Power, Fatsby.
🌹 "

Tom Morello :
"Rest In Peace #LeslieWest. His guitar tone on “Mississippi Queen” is hands down the BADDEST guitar tone on record."

Lita Ford :
"Holding the Mississippi Queen!
One of the baddest, true hard-core rock and roll guitar warriors that ever lived! Never In My Life did I find a legend like you. 🎸 Great musicians will never die. Rest in Peace Leslie West"

Bruce Kulick :
"I am very saddened by the loss of one of my biggest guitar heroes Leslie West. His band Mountain was amazing, and his guitar tone was always a huge influence on me. I saw him live many times, and GFR played shows with Leslie on the same bill. Huge Rock Guitar Legend. 2020 sucks."

Glenn Hughes :
"So very sad to hear that my dear friend Leslie West as passed away.
A Pioneer, both singing and guitar playing , was absolutely beyond.
Brothers for five decades.
Gab and I love and miss you ..
Millions of music listeners will remember your music my brother."

Adrian Vandenberg :
"Sad to hear that one of my big influences in my teenage years Leslie West passed away yesterday.Songs such as’Mississippi Queen’and’For Yasgur’s Farm’ by his band Mountain are some by of the favourites in the soundtrack of my life.
His legacy will live on.
R.I.P. Leslie 🙌🏻🤟🏻"

John Corabi :
"2020 is not letting up....R.I.P. to one of the greatest riff masters ever!!!! Leslie West the guitar and voice of Mississippi Queen, Never In My Life, and Nantucket Sleighride...gone but never forgotten!!!! #2020cansuckit"

Warrant :
"RIP guitar god: Leslie West, of the bad ass hard rock group Mountain, who rock n rolled and belted out the classic rock anthem "Mississippi Queen," has died at age 75. So sad, another huge loss in 20 f’ckn 20"

Joey De Maio :
"Just heard that Leslie West has passed away. One of the greatest guitar players, singers, and songwriters in the world; inspiration to many of us!
Now he will be reunited with one of the greatest bass players of all time, Felix Pappalardi.
RIP, Leslie
#Mountain #Legend"

Steve Stevens :
"Leslie West has moved on to go jam with EVH. As a fellow Queens N. Y. kid Leslie was our guy. From the days playing the Action House in Long Island with the Vagrants, Leslie was the best of the best. Do yourself a favor... take a trip back to 1971..."

Jeff Scott Soto
"So sad to hear of the passing of this legendary 'mountain' man Leslie West. I got to meet and hang with him for a few days through Al Pitrelli when Leslie was invited as a guest artist on a TSO tour years ago. RIP sir, you were a helluva guy and monstrous influence too many!!"

Michael Amott :
"Rest in Power #LeslieWest! I love his playing, singing and writing. A big influence on so many musicians, including myself. Leslie had THE SOUND in his hands. Was so cool to hang out with him at a NAMM dinner in ‘09, what a great friendly guy and phenomenal musician. R.I.P."

Rex Brown :
"RIP LESLIE WEST!! Everything about the man, from his Gtr sound to his Soul was Huge!! Cheers man!!"

Joe Bonamassa :
"Rest In Peace my friend. Today is a very sad day for me and my family. Leslie was not only a hero of mine but a friend. He believed in me from the very beginning and always lent his support. He was the funniest guy you would ever meet but a consummate gentleman and one of the greatest rock guitarist ever. The first thing he ever said to me was “Joey, all you got to do to be my favorite guitar player is fucking divide by two.. “ I never forgot that advice and cherish it to this day. He is a rock and roll hall of fame member with or without a statue nor ceremony. He just was and always will be. I will not get into that now. He is known best by the song “Mississippi Queen” but if you have a chance to put on “Theme From An Imaginary Western “ today the sheer brilliance of that solo and composition is staggering. He made it look easy. It was not. A true one of a kind musician and man. I will miss him greatly."

Alex Skolnick :
"Another great one gone: I first became aware of Leslie West after acquiring a stack of ‘70s @guitarplayer mags and seeing him mentioned early interviews with Michael Schenker & Tony Iommi, figuring if THESE guys were fans, he must be worth a listen. An older fellow I didn’t know too well (but for whom I’m grateful for) had owned a couple of his records since the early ‘70s, when he’d been been my age at the time (16). Hearing me play and knowing I was interested, he thought I should have them (thank you, wherever you are). In between my 80s hard rock & metal records, I’d jam along with this Woodstock era music day in & day out, even though it wasn’t metal (although the title “Flowers of Evil” sure sounded heavy). I did recognize one song I’d heard before: “Mississippi Queen” of course, which was a worthy of its hit status. However, I was taken in by the ones not often on radio ie “One Last Cold Kiss,” Crossroader,” “Never In my Life” and “Nantucket Sleighride,” for example. He was a “pure” player, just feel and tone. No high speed, advanced technique, effects, gadgets etc. Not that there’s anything wrong with those things (heck, I use ‘em) but it was refreshing to realize how much could be said with just a pair of hands through a good guitar & amp. Recently, I’d heard that a big regret of his was not appearing in the “Woodstock” movie on the advice of a manager. The reason: No one was getting paid (except the headliner, a fellow named Jimi). Yet those who did appear in the movie, Santana, Richie Havens, Ten Years After, etc even Sha Na Na (a 50s cover act) all went on to have far more career visibility than those who didn’t. Had they said “yes,” so many more folks would’ve known the band Mountain and the name Leslie West. By the 1990s, Mountain was playing the Berkeley Square (where I opened for him with a short-lived project), a place better suited for up & comers, not a legend like him, who should’ve been across the Bay playing the @thefillmore. He was a really good guy, fun to talk to and with a great sense of humor about his career trajectory. Do yourself a favor, listen the deep cuts. And if you play, learn a few of his licks.
RIP #lesliewest"
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Beaucoup plus connu aux USA qu'en Europe je pense, même s'il a influencé les musiciens anglais et Michael Schenker, c'est clairement une grosse perte supplémentaire dans l'histoire du rock et de la guitare en général.
On se souviendra qu'il était également sur scène à Woodstock, et surtout qu'Hendrix en était admirateur, c'est dire.
I'm the lost one chasing colors to the sun
Colors bleed but never fade
Denis
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Denis »

Satriani et Iommi ont le même rédacteur ?
Prochains concerts:
olivier64
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Re: Leslie West (MOUNTAIN) 1945 - 2020

Message par olivier64 »

Denis a écrit :
29 déc. 2020, 08:59
Satriani et Iommi ont le même rédacteur ?
oups, mauvais copier/coller, je corrige :mad: c'est bien, il y en a au moins qui lit tout. :lol:
the fab
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par the fab »

Frampton aussi par la même occasion. :D
Olivier64: " Y a pas un groupe plus surestimé que Motley Crue. Les Ramones, c'est du rock progressif à coté !!!!!!"
olivier64
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par olivier64 »

:lol: Corrigé :mad:
Dave
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Dave »

Un très grand c'est clair....
R.I.P. Gary Dalloway : 20/08/2006
Mordor
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Message par Mordor »

Le seul morceau que je connaisse

olivier64
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Re: Leslie West (MOUNTAIN) 1945 - 2020

Message par olivier64 »

Mordor a écrit :
09 janv. 2021, 21:15
Le seul morceau que je connaisse

Un excellent best of existe, sinon tu peux écouter l'album Climbing, ou le live Twin Peaks. Ou le coffret 5CD Original Album Classics, qui regroupe la quasi totalité de leur discographie pour pas cher.
Mordor
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Message par Mordor »

Ok, merci. Je vais d'abord écouter avant d'acheter
Répondre