Giant (hard rock mélodique / AOR)

L'actualité brulante du Metal traditionnel et de tout ce qui gravite autour.

Modérateurs : Modérateurs du forum, Responsables / Animateurs de sections

Répondre
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Un pur groupe US des années 80, qui revient après quelques années de silence. :tata:
Frontiers Records has announced the return of US-based rockers GIANT, for the release of a brand new album in early 2010.

After recording two albums with Christian rockers WHITEHEART in the early 80's and having made a name as session players in the pop and rock scene, guitarist / vocalist Dann Huff and his drummer brother David hooked up with Alan Pasqua, an experienced keyboards player which lent his talents to loads of jazz and rock artists and Nashville session bass player Mike Brignardello to form Giant.

They eventually signed with A&M Records and released 1989's Last Of The Runaways, featuring a classic, melodic hard rock sound, which yielded a top-twenty hit with 'I'll See You in My Dreams'.

Giant’s debut album is still regarded nowadays as one of the highest points in melodic hard rock of the end of the eighties melting diverse influences such as VAN HALEN, JOURNEY and U2 to create an instantly recognizable sound. After countless tours and live performances in the US and Europe, the band recorded the follow up album Time to Burn in 1991. Slightly more aggressive than it's predecessor, but still magnificent in the production and songwriting departments. this album is also regarded as a main source of influence for many melodic and hard rock bands nowadays.

Soon after the release of Time To Burn, Alan Pasqua decided to quit the band and went back to session work. The band toured once again Europe and US without him, but soon after disbanded. Dann Huff then became one of the most respected producers of our era, working in the rock, pop and country music with countless artists including SHANIA TWAIN, MEGADETH, FAITH HILL and several others. His brother David also started to become more and more involved in the production business and thanks to a mutual friend he was introduced in 1999 to Frontiers Records managers Serafino Perugino and Mario de Riso. This eventually brought to a meeting in Chicago were the label proposed David to bring back the name and the music of such a great band. The III album was released in 2001 with major acclaim in the classic and melodic hard rock community.

However Dann’s busy schedule along with the other members’ commitments, made the reunion impossible to carry on. However the vision of bringing back Giant as a living band unit with a recording and touring line-up and with of course the possibility to carry on the enormous legacy of the music produced so far with the same quality was raised a few times in conversations between David Huff and Frontiers.

As time went by it became apparent that Dann Huff could not be a full part of this concept, even though he loved everything that Giant was. Thus original members, drummer David Huff and bassist Mike Brignardello, who wanted to go back to rock, started an endless research for the right musicians that could be part of a renewed Giant lineup. And in the end the choice fell on singer extraordinaire Terry Brock (STRANGEWAYS, SEVENTH KEY) and on John Roth (WINGER) on guitars.

David Huff comments: “Yes, we have decided to move forward. But we’re not trying to replace Dann, because that could never be done. We have picked up where we left off and have added a great new flavor. We will always stay close to the original core of what Giant was: a melodic arena rock band based around guitar riffs. We will stay with the same principle of vocals too--great harmonies and melodies. Terry's vocal style is very complimentary to Giant’s core sound--he has tremendous feel (soul) and range along with power. John's guitar playing is very powerful too."

The band has completed the songwriting and according to David: “It feels good to be working on Giant again! In early April we had an incredible week with the new Giant lineup, we have some great new songs and we are working also on some ideas that have been taking dust on the shelf for years. Dann was part of our meeting and has co-written several songs which no doubt have his guitar flavors all over them. He was also very excited and he has agreed to appear in the album playing guitar on two songs”.

It is now possible to hear a sample from the first single, 'Promised Land', here, which will also be the title track of the forthcoming album, that will exclusively appear on the Rock The Bones Vol. 7 sampler that will be on sale from November 7th.

More song titles include: 'Our Love', 'Complicated Man', 'Two Worlds', 'Plenty Of Love', 'I’ll Wait For You' and more.
I'm the lost one chasing colors to the sun
Colors bleed but never fade
Mc Brain
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Re: Giant (hard rock mélodique / AOR)

Message par Mc Brain »

Tiens, je me suis acheté l'album "last of the runaways" cet été (qui date de la fin des années 80 je crois). un excellent album :up: :chant: :rock: (avec le classique "i'm a believer"). Je ne connais que cet album, mais c'est du bon :)
Gaëtan: "Reste plus qu'à interdire les citations dans les signatures... "
bobmaurane
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Message par bobmaurane »

C'est du tout bon hard US,sortez les Peavey 5150 :bang:
I hear her voice in the night
Cries of joy
We were good... good...good...
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Leur chanteur sort un album solo le 27 août :

Frontiers Records will release Diamond Blue on August 27th in Europe and September 14th in the USA, the anticipated second solo album from the gifted singer Terry Brock. Best known as current vocalist in the melodic rock titans GIANT, Terry has also recently announced to rejoin STRANGEWAYS, the legendary British AOR band that launched his name in the spotlight in the late '80’s, for the recording of a brand new album.

Still, in between these two very important milestone albums in the melodic rock year, Terry managed to complete Diamond Blue in collaboration with renowned guitarist / producer / songwriter Mike Slamer. The two of them have already worked together in SEVENTH KEY and on the SLAMER album Nowhere Land and have already showed the world the magic that the combination of their talent can achieve. “I had been working with Mike on Seventh Key and Slamer, so it was a natural progression. I begged him, basically, to do it. I wouldn't have wanted anyone else!!”

In Diamond Blue the two of them explore a more classic Melodic Rock sonic landscape which showcases Terry’s vocal abilities in its most natural environment. Still, when Mike Slamer’s around you can’t help but having some roaring guitars and riveting guitar solos. All this, combined with a brilliant songwriting, builds up a fabulous release which is already very much talked and anticipated by the legions of Melodic Rock fans around the world. Diamond Blue also includes a song 'Jessie’s Gone' written by Terry with Strangeways’ guitar player Ian Stewart.

“This record” says Terry, “is the end result of years of very hard, fun work. It is the solo CD that I've always wanted to make, but never thought I could make. Mike pushed me to be better as a singer, songwriter and musician, and I believe the results show that. It is very representative of where I'm at as an artist now and I'm particularly happy that I could involve a lot of friends in the recording process”.

Terry Brock’s musical career started as a background vocalist on KANSAS album Drastic Measures in 1983. On that session he met Neil Kernon (the producer of the record) who subsequently turned out to be very important in Terry’s career. He also toured with Kansas in support of that album, playing guitar and doing background vocals. Before joining the legendary British melodic Rock outfit Strangeways, Terry toured extensively with the STEVE MORSE BAND, playing guitar and singing. Strangeways, of course, were Terry's best known experience in the music business. With them he recorded two albums on BMG/RCA: Native Sons and Walk In the Fire.

With Strangeways he toured extensively around the whole of Europe garnering the band a reputation as one of the best UK based AOR bands ever and for himself the mantle of being the real heir to Steve Perry's (of JOURNEY) throne. After he left Strangeways he moved to New York working mainly with famed producer Neil Kernon, who hired him to sing background vocals on albums by bands such as AVIATOR, HEAVEN'S EDGE, VALENTINE, BRITNY FOX and MICHAEL BOLTON. After a few years spent in Nashville, he came back on the scene taking part in the melodic rock supergroup THE SIGN and later with Seventh Key (both featuring Kansas bassist/singer Billy Greer) and Slamer. He recently joined Giant as replacement for Dann Huff on vocals on the acclaimed Promise Land album and he is currently working on the recording of the anticipated Strangeways reunion CD scheduled for a fall release on Frontiers.

Diamond Blue final tracklisting includes:

'Diamond Blue'
'It’s You'
'Jessie’s Gone'
'No More Mr. Nice Guy'
'The Rain'
'Broken'
'Face in the Crowd'
'Why'
'Too Young'
'Soldier Falls'
'Face The Night'

The songs 'Diamond Blue' and 'Jessie’s Gone' can exclusively be listened in full in streaming on the Frontiers Web radio here

Musicians:
Terry Brock: vocals, guitar
Mike Slamer: guitars, bass, keyboards
Andy Bigan: drums
brother of steel
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par brother of steel »

Y en a qui se sont procure ce Promise Land?
Modifié en dernier par brother of steel le 01 nov. 2010, 13:11, modifié 1 fois.
Dark Avenger
Fan de Gojira et Pantera
Fan de Gojira et Pantera

Message par Dark Avenger »

Ouais, je l'ai; il est super. J'adore tout particulièrement les ballades Lady Jane et Out of Mind. :up: :lol: :lol:
Ad Metal Eternam a écrit :Clair ! Et puis Thrashos a le truc qui fait les vrais thrasheux et que n'auront jamais les donneurs de leçons pseudo-élitistes qui croient tout savoir: il est sympa :yeah:
brother of steel
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par brother of steel »

Ah ouais bien vu, je rectifie du coup :D
Dark Avenger
Fan de Gojira et Pantera
Fan de Gojira et Pantera

Message par Dark Avenger »

Te complique pas la vie Brother, prend toi les 2 premiers Giant, et je te promets que vas surkiffer ta race.
Ad Metal Eternam a écrit :Clair ! Et puis Thrashos a le truc qui fait les vrais thrasheux et que n'auront jamais les donneurs de leçons pseudo-élitistes qui croient tout savoir: il est sympa :yeah:
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Retour en janvier.
Giant, the powerhouse rock quartet, are set to unleash their fifth studio album, Shifting Time, on January 21. Now, anchored by founding members David Huff and Mike Brignardello, the two are joined by guitarist John Roth (Winger, Starship featuring Mickey Thomas, Jimi Jamison) and vocalist Kent Hilli (Perfect Plan).

After more than a decade since their last album, the band is back with new music that showcases their perfect blend of the melodic rock sound. Founding member Dann Huff has given his seal of approval and appears on lead guitar on the song "Never Die Young".

Fans can get their first taste of Shifting Time with the release of the single and video for "Let Our Love Win". Watch the video below, and pre-order/save Shifting Time on CD/LP/Cassette/Digital here.

It has been over a decade since Giant has released new music and drummer David Huff says, "We are very excited for people to hear "Shifting Time"! It has been way too long in between Giant albums and we hope you find it worth the wait. Thanks to everyone at Frontiers and especially the fans for their undying support of Giant!! We would love to follow up with some live dates in 2022, if that is something the fans would like to see, so hopefully we'll see you out there!"

"We have worked so hard and we are very happy and proud of this record", continues Huff. "I was so impressed with Kent’s vocals when I first heard him! He was a natural fit with our sound and we are thrilled to have him on board," he adds about new vocalist Kent Hilli.

”Wow, man, what can I say? To be asked to be the new singer for my all-time favorite band Giant was, and still is, mind-blowing! I still have a hard time grasping it all. I am tempted to use a certain film quote ("You know, I'm just a regular guy who grew up with the posters of these guys on my wall...and now I'm one of them! That's right, I'm standing here, living proof that if you work hard enough, and you want it bad enough…dreams do come true, so follow your dreams.”), but I won’t, haha. But seriously, that is exactly how I feel. I still remember hearing Giant's first album, ”Last Of The Runaways”, in 1989 which totally blew me off the chair I was sitting on. Since then, I have probably listened to their music every week. And now working with David, Mike, John, and also Alessandro has been a blessing and I am very proud of the album and the music we have created together. These guys are true professionals and I am blessed beyond words to be a part of this and David, Mike, and John have been so supportive and welcoming. I am also very grateful to Frontiers for making this happen and giving me and us this opportunity and I can’t wait to release the songs for everyone to hear,” says Kent Hilli of joining Giant.

Originally formed in the late '80s by brothers Dann and David Huff, together with the experienced jazz and rock keyboardist Alan Pasqua and Nashville session bass player Mike Brignardello, Giant would become, with the release of their debut album "Last of The Runaways" (A&M Records, 1989), one of the most respected bands of the melodic hard rock scene. Following countless live performances in support of their debut, the band released the follow-up "Time to Burn" (Epic, 1991), an album still regarded as a main source of influence for many melodic and hard rock bands who came after. With the sudden change of musical climate in the early '90s, Giant disbanded with their members becoming involved in different projects, with both Dann and David Huff becoming well respected producers.

demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

J'aime bien, ils ont visiblement gardé leurs compos typées années 80 et ça me plait. :up: Par contre pourquoi cette intro qui ne colle pas du tout avec le titre en lui - même, comme si c'était une plage distincte ?
ChaNoir a écrit :Merde on n´est pas venus pour voir Chantal Goya en perfecto!
Metalrunner a écrit :Je sais je suis un thrasheur romantique et fragile :D
heavy76
Captor of Sin
Captor of Sin

Message par heavy76 »

demes a écrit :
21 nov. 2021, 18:21
J'aime bien, ils ont visiblement gardé leurs compos typées années 80 et ça me plait. :up: Par contre pourquoi cette intro qui ne colle pas du tout avec le titre en lui - même, comme si c'était une plage distincte ?
Je me suis fait la même réflexion.
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

metal militia
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par metal militia »

Bien efficace ce titre!
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Je ne sais pas pourquoi les groupes font ce genre de clips sans rapport avec la chanson, mais pourquoi pas. :)

demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

Je préfère le titre précédent, mais boulot tout à fait correct pour les deux.
Gandalf
Zorro of False Metal
Zorro of False Metal

Message par Gandalf »

Everflow a écrit :
15 déc. 2021, 18:53

Mais ouais !
Un groupe vraiment sous estimé, j'adorais au bahut ! Leur premier album :amour: :amour: :amour:
Très bon titre. Et la voix :up:
GANDALF :gandalf:
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost
It's empty and cold without you here, too many people to ache over"
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Ouaip toujours une référence en AOR. Le nouveau chanteur est vraiment bon.

demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

Faut avouer... :up:
Gandalf
Zorro of False Metal
Zorro of False Metal

Message par Gandalf »

C'est vraiment un très bon album qu'ils nous ont pondu :up: :up: :up:
GANDALF :gandalf:
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost
It's empty and cold without you here, too many people to ache over"
Répondre