The Halo Effect (5 ex-membres d'In Flames dont Mikael Stanne et Jesper Strömblad)

L'actualité brulante du Metal traditionnel et de tout ce qui gravite autour.

Modérateurs : Modérateurs du forum, Responsables / Animateurs de sections

Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

On peut se douter comment ce projet va sonner. :)
Five former members of the Swedish metal band IN FLAMES — Jesper Strömblad (guitar), Daniel Svensson (drums), Peter Iwers (bass), Niclas Engelin (guitar) and Mikael Stanne (vocals) — have launched a new project called THE HALO EFFECT. So far, only a promotional photo of the new outfit has been released, with the promise of more information to follow soon.

A founding member of IN FLAMES, Strömblad quit the band in February 2010 in order to continue receiving treatment for his alcohol addiction.

Five years ago, Jesper slammed his former bandmates, calling the group a "sinking ship" and saying IN FLAMES singer Anders Fridén has "never been a songwriter."

Svensson, who joined IN FLAMES in 1998, announced in 2015 that he was leaving the group to focus on his family life.

A member of IN FLAMES since 1997, Iwers issued a statement in November 2016 saying that he was exiting the band "to pursue other endeavors."

Engelin has been sitting out IN FLAMES' tour dates for the past two and a half years but has never officially confirmed his departure from the band. Engelin's replacement for IN FLAMES' live shows for most of 2019 and early 2020 has been former MEGADETH and current ACT OF DEFIANCE guitarist Chris Broderick.

When Engelin was asked in an August 2020 interview with the "MetalBreak" podcast what his "future" with IN FLAMES was, he responded, "I choose to pass on that [question]," before quickly adding, "I'm still in the band."

As of last year, Engelin was not listed as a member of IN FLAMES on the band's Facebook page (Broderick was), and he is not featured in any of IN FLAMES' current promotional photos from the group's record label, Nuclear Blast.

IN FLAMES recruited American drummer Tanner Wayne, best known for his work with UNDERMINDED, SCARY KIDS SCARING KIDS and CHIODOS, to sit behind the kit for the band for its 2018, 2019 and 2020 live appearances. Wayne stepped into IN FLAMES following the departure of Joe Rickard, who played on the band's "I, The Mask" and "Battles" albums.

Shortly after leaving IN FLAMES, Iwers joined CYHRA, the band featuring vocalist Jake E (ex-AMARANTHE) and Strömblad. He announced his departure from that band in May 2018.

IN FLAMES' current lineup features American bassist Bryce Paul Newman, who has been playing most of the shows with the group since Iwers's exit.

During a January 2021 appearance on the "Vox&Hops" podcast, Iwers was asked if he ever misses being on the road. The bassist replied: "Yeah, absolutely. Well, 'miss' is kind of the wrong word. I loved being on the road for most of the years that I was with [IN FLAMES], and I miss the good times. I have no regrets as far as leaving, but, of course, sometimes I really miss just being free and out and playing shows and traveling to new places every day. But I have plans. Maybe this will happen again in the future — not with IN FLAMES, though, but, yeah, we'll see."

He continued: "I'm kind of not missing spending time thinking about stuff like that. I'm kind of more living where I am now, where I'm actually free to do whatever I can with my own time. I own my own time, as I like to say; I can plan it however I like it. And I'm kind of focusing on enjoying that rather than missing the past.

"It's fun to reminisce, but at the same time, it can take you down a dangerous road as well," Peter added.

In a 2017 interview with Ireland's Overdrive, IN FLAMES guitarist Björn Gelotte said that he wasn't surprised by Peter's departure from the band. "It wasn't a 'shock,' so to speak, as we kind of knew that it was coming," he said. "I think he was just done with it all and not happy. No, 'happy' is the wrong word. He just wanted to pursue other things. Peter is a very, very busy guy. He has his own brewery with Daniel called Odd Island Brewing and he's also got four or five different musical projects happening, so he's really got his hands full at the moment."

A year ago, DARK TRANQUILITY vocalist Mikael Stanne, who sang on IN FLAMES' debut album, 1994's "Lunar Strain", dismissed comparisons between the two bands, telling the "BREWtally Speaking Podcast": "We are kind of forever linked, just because of our connection early on. I sang on the first IN FLAMES album, and Anders sang on the first DARK TRANQUILLITY album, and this is still a cause of great confusion for some reason. But, yeah, we toured together, we are friends and we grew up together in the same area outside of town [in Gothenburg, Sweden]. So, of course, it's obvious. And I'm okay with that — that's fine. It just becomes a little bit old, because there's not much to say about it anymore, because we've gone in very different directions. So it's not relevant, but, of course, you do make comparisons — that's how people work, how you go, 'I like this band better than that band.' And if there is a link somehow, and there are many between the two of us, then you use that as some kind of reference or, 'This is better than that,' or, 'The guitar player is better in that band' — that kind of stuff. So I'm okay with it. It doesn't change anything. And sometimes questions about it tend to be uninspired. It's just like, 'Oh, what do you think of the other band's albums?' It's, like, 'It doesn't matter, but I'm a huge fan. I love it.' And it's the same with, of course, AT THE GATES as well, even though we haven't shared any members together, but we still kind of grew up together, so, obviously, there's a huge connection there as well. And I don't mind talking about my friends and the awesome bands that are from this town — it's fine — but sometimes the direct comparisons seem… Maybe they meant something in the '90s, but they really don't anymore."
I'm the lost one chasing colors to the sun
Colors bleed but never fade
Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Achille »

Vu les gaillards qui sont dans le groupe j'ai hâte d'en entendre bien plus.

Mais ouais clairement on va pas avoir du true depressive black Metal ou du power dragon mélodique, ça va taper dans le death mélo' Suédois et cela me va :D
☞ ⁍ Bullet Club 4 Life ⁌ ☠
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Achille »

C'est plutôt bien parti !
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

C'est assez Dark Flames! Ou In Tranquillity. :D
demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

:lol:

Achille : je plussoie. :bang:
ChaNoir a écrit :Merde on n´est pas venus pour voir Chantal Goya en perfecto!
Metalrunner a écrit :Je sais je suis un thrasheur romantique et fragile :D
Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Achille »

Un nouveau titre super efficace ! Des riffs à la vieux In Flames et le chanteur de Dark Tranquillity... Franchement ça marche bien :!
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

Un poil moins original que le titre précédent, mais ça passe quand même largement. :up:
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Bien cool!

Les mecs n'inventent rien du tout en soi (sur ces 2 titres du moins), mais ils sont en bonne partie responsables de l'émergence du mélodeath de Gothenburg dans les années 90 du coup ils ont toute légitimité à l'assumer et le proposer à nouveau au public. Retour en 1996. :dance:

Et Stanne refuse de vieillir, il doit avoir une potion magique.
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Achille »

C'est rigolo parce que les mecs enchainent les (bons) titres mais pour le moment il n'y a aucun album de prévu.
Si ?
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
Le Cerveau
Stormbringer
Stormbringer

Message par Le Cerveau »

Premier album, Days Of The Lost, attendu pour le 12 août prochain via Nuclear Blast.

Titre très convaincant, bien meilleur que les 2 premiers mais le riff principal fait étrangement penser au titre "Embody the invisible" sur l'album COLONY de IN FLAMES.
Moi, je casse le vent
J'fais chier les gens
Ca me purifie
C'est important.
Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Achille »

Ah nickel. Je ne voyais aucun lien de précommande d'où ma question.

Alors, tel Zola, j'attends.
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

Alors je le trouve moins convaincant ce titre, trop classique. Ceci étant c'est tellement bien exécuté que ça passe quand même fort bien. Il est même loin d'être impossible que je réévalue mon avis après plusieurs écoutes.
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Cela pourrait clairement figurer sur Colony ou Clayman d'In Flames, c'est le même ADN.

Voici l'album :
The Halo Effect - Jesper Strömblad (In Flames 1990-2010), Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquillity), Peter Iwers (In Flames 1997-2016), Daniel Svensson (In Flames 1998-2015) and Niclas Engelin (In Flames 1997-98/2011-) - have launched the pre-order for their debut album, Days Of The Lost, out on August 12.

Along with the pre-order, the band have released a music video for the album's title track, which can be viewed below. Stream the song here, and pre-order the album here.

The initial thought behind The Halo Effect was to go back to the roots and explore the classic Gothenburg Sound. The band delivers the goods in a brutally efficient display of heart pounding beats, melodic mayhem and furious growling at its best and the result is an exceptional sound to fans of melodeath, where the echoes of the Gothenburg Sound are evident.
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

Pas super - convaincu pour le coup, mais là aussi j'aime bien le refrain donc je prends quand même. :up:
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Jesper Strömblad est toujours en prise avec ses problèmes d'addiction qui commencent à dater, donc il pourrait être absent ou présent sur la tournée, selon son état. Il fait toujours partie du groupe en tout cas, et visiblement ils ont un plan B si jamais il leur faisait faux bond.

De son côté, l'autre guitariste Niclas Engelin sous-entend qu'il est toujours un membre d'In Flames, malgré le fait qu'il ne joue plus avec eux depuis 3 ans et qu'il n'est plus mentionné par le groupe! Il refuse d'en dire davantage, ce qui semble signifier qu'il existe un gros contentieux entre lui et In Flames.
Le fait qu'il soit dans The Halo Effect, un projet dans lequel il joue plus ou moins du In Flames old school, ne doit pas arranger cette situation. :D
Guitarist Niclas Engelin, who has been sitting out IN FLAMES' tour dates for the past three and a half years, was asked in a new interview with Australia's "Scars And Guitars" podcast what the "health complications" were that reportedly prevented him from taking part in the band's touring activities. "I pass on that, my friend," he said, declining to answer the question. Pressed about whether he is "still a member" of IN FLAMES, he responded: "I pass on that as well."

Back in August 2020, when he was asked by the "MetalBreak" podcast what his "future" with IN FLAMES looked like, he said, "I choose to pass on that," before quickly adding, "I'm still in the band."
Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Achille »

Et une de plus :

Un peu moue par contre...
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
BurningDarkness
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par BurningDarkness »

J'ai écouté l'album cet aprem, j'avais un peu l'impression d'avoir mis un ancien album de DT mais je me le repasserai
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Catchy :dance:
demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

Je trouve ce titre nettement meilleur que le précédent. :up:
Julien06
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Julien06 »

Album reçu et écouté aujourd'hui, comme mentionné précédemment du In flames à l'ancienne avec une touche de Dark Tranquility forcément.
Ça ne sera pas l'album de l'année, mais ça passe bien
Bib a écrit :L'important, c'est que tu sois de base !!
Stéphane
Rodger pour les intimes !
Rodger pour les intimes !

Message par Stéphane »

Album excellent !
Alors In Flames "à l'ancienne" ? oui et non ! Certains passages, Feel What I Believe, tout le début de Days of the lost etc... auraient sans problème pu figurer sur Whoracle ou Colony (oui, chez moi, les premiers In Flames ont des couleurs :D ) mais le reste de l'album n'a pas forcement cette coloration, mais il est clair qu'on sait à l'écoute de l'album que Jesper Stromblad est dans les parages ;)

En fait c'est un plus un mélange entre le vieux In Flames et le Dark Tranquillity actuel. M. Stanne dit ne s'être impliqué que tardivement dans le processus de création... mais le chant (forcement), les claviers et l'ambiance générale de l'album (hormis peut-être les 2 morceaux cité plus haut) assez mélancolique font beaucoup penser au DT actuel. L'excellent Shadowminds résume assez bien l'ambiance de l'album !

Très bon album en ce qui me concerne qui permet de patienter entre 2 DT :D
"At the gates of hell" --> https://bit.ly/3o1GrtF
"World on fire" --> https://youtu.be/coRbsXy4dVU
Mc Brain
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par Mc Brain »

Excellent album en effet!! :bang:
Gaëtan: "Reste plus qu'à interdire les citations dans les signatures... "
Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Achille »

Album enfin acheté ! Et je rejoins les avis positifs que nous avons ici ! Excellent mix entre Dark Tranquillity et In Flames avec un peu plus de touches pour ce-dernier. Ce n'est pas l'album de l'année mais c'est quand même la régalade. Aucun titre à retirer.
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
Répondre