Devin Townsend - Empath

L'actualité brulante du Metal traditionnel et de tout ce qui gravite autour.

Modérateurs : Modérateurs du forum, Responsables / Animateurs de sections

Répondre
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Premier album de son nouveau line-up, les 2 extraits sont impressionnants et bien barjots! :D :dance: :fou: Les cat lovers vont être aux anges. :mad:
Canadian heavy music artist Devin Townsend will release his new album, "Empath", on March 29 via InsideOut Music.

In the lead-up to the album's release, Devin will walk fans through how "Empath" came together with a series of documentary episodes recorded as phone conversations during the course of the albums recording. Watch him explain more in the video below.

Devin comments: "Hello everybody, this is Devin Townsend and I would like to formally announce that after almost a year and a half of working, I have finished 'Empath'. Now, this record has taken me down a lot of very interesting psychological and technical avenues and the process was documented from the very get-go by a series of documentary videos that I have done that outline everything from the gestation of the idea to the actualisation of it, through all the existential ups and downs that went on. As such, this record is different to any record that I have released thus far, and trying to get people on board for what it is versus what it isn't, I think needs to be dealt with in a different way.

"Stay tuned for the making of 'Empath' — the video series."

Over the past few years, the success that Devin has slowly worked for has fortunately come with the power to control his own creative destiny. The recent successes with the DVD from a sold-out Royal Albert hall, or his 2012 "Retinal Circus", or last year's "Ocean Machine" live DVD with the Orchestra And Choir Of State Opera Plovdiv has put him in a position where with the new album "Empath", he will once and for all define himself as a musical force outside of any particular genre classification.

On this album, Devin has decided to see what would happen if all the styles that make up his current interests were finally represented in one place. To finally shake the fear of expectation, and just do what it is he was meant to do creatively, "Empath", true to the name, is about allowing the audience a feeling for a variety of musical emotions. The musical dynamics represented on this single album are broad, challenging, and immense. To approach this sort of work with a long history of what makes heavy music "heavy," allows this to be done with a type of power rarely heard.

Joining Devin on this album is Frank Zappa alumni Mike Keneally as music director, as well as Morgan Ågren (MATS AND MORGAN, FRANK ZAPPA, FREDRIK THORDENDAL), Anup Sastry (MONUMENTS, PERIPHERY), Samus Paulicelli (DECREPIT BIRTH, ABIGAIL WILLIAMS), Nathan Navarro, Elliot Desagnes, Steve Vai, Chad Kroeger, Anneke Van Giersbergen, Ché Aimee Dorval, Ryan Dhale and the Elektra Women's Choir.

A bold statement with massive production values and dynamic, uncompromised musicality. This is a statement about not only pursuing creative freedom in a conservative scene, but also trying to show that heavy music is truly a valid musical tool.

"Empath" will be released on limited 2 CD digipak (including an entire disc of bonus material), standard CD jewelcase, gatefold 180-gram 2LP vinyl + CD + LP-booklet and as digital album.

The full track listing is as follows:

01. Castaway
02. Genesis
03. Spirits Will Collide
04. Evermore
05. Sprite
06. Hear Me
07. Why
08. Borderlands
09. Requiem
10. Singularity Part 1 - Adrift
11. Singularity Part 2 - I Am I
12. Singularity Part 3 - There Be Monsters
13. Singularity Part 4 - Curious Gods
14. Singularity Part 5 - Silicon Scientists
15. Singularity Part 6 - Here Comes The Sun

I'm the lost one chasing colors to the sun
Colors bleed but never fade
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

"Genesis" est juste dingue.

En voilà une autre, plus directe façon Epicloud :

Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Achille »

Ces clips matricés :lol:

L'album s'annonce sympa et bien barré !
☞ ⁍ Bullet Club 4 Life ⁌ ☠
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Achille »

Putain les pré-commandes... C'est plus ce que c'était... Toujours pas d'album à l'horizon :grr:
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Pourtant il se vend bien :

Achille
Guardian of the Flame
Guardian of the Flame

Message par Achille »

Bon alors…
A la première écoute je me suis dit : “c’est trop le Hellfest” id est “c’est un bordel sans nom, on comprend rien”. C’était comme si la chanson “Genesis” avait été multipliée par 10 et que Devin en avait fait un album. Seul “Why?” avec son petit côté symphonique, chanson calme et très fun, bien lumineuse, sortait du lot et permettait de respirer un peu.

Je me suis aussi dit que Townsend n’est pas le genre de gaillard à sortir un disque juste pour nous éblouir ou nous ennuyer avec des titres déstructurés et techniques. En plus il l’avait déjà fait avec Deconstruction et même ici il avait une idée derrière la tête : prouver aux gens qui l’emmerder trop avec ça qu’il était toujours capable de faire du Strapping. Beh teh cet album tombe bien puisque “déconstruit” est un terme qui peut s’appliquer à Empath.

Tout ça pour dire que l’opus passait bien mieux après une seconde écoute. “Evermore” se détache, idem pour “Spirits will collide”, l'enchaînement “Why?” et “Borderlands” est bien cool et ce sont les deux chansons que j’aime me ré-écouter. Pour le reste cela reste (toujours et pour le moment) un peu trop dense, bordélique et “déconstruit”. Si j’ai bien compris ce que j’ai pu lire par ci par là le concept serait la création du monde, cela mérite plus d’attention de même que l’album parce que je ne pense pas que cela soit un disque qu’on peut apprécier et comprendre dès la première écoute. Déjà si vous aimez pas le prog costaud vous pouvez directement passer à autre chose :)
☞ ⁍ バレットクラブ ⁌ ☠
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

J'avoue que la première écoute fut bien bordélique également :D
C'est sans aucun doute trop dense, mais c'est sans concession, authentique, une vraie démarche artistique (message inclus). Faut que je le fasse tourner plus.

En attendant on peut se préparer pour l'été :

Et une vidéo acoustique barge :

demes
Defender of the Faith
Defender of the Faith

Message par demes »

Bah de toute façon Townsend a - t - il jamais fait de concession, pas barge, inauthentique ?
ChaNoir a écrit :Merde on n´est pas venus pour voir Chantal Goya en perfecto!
Metalrunner a écrit :Je sais je suis un thrasheur romantique et fragile :D
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

En effet. Mais il a déjà fait (un peu) plus abordable que ce foutoir. :D

Même avec 3-4 écoutes ça reste quand même sacrément et volontairement décousu, comme un pot pourri extrême de sa carrière. Souvent on ne sait pas trop où ça va, avec des plans dont je ne comprends pas trop l'intérêt, même s'il reste de beaux moments parsemés.
Le grand écart absolu dans l’enchaînement surréaliste est atteint entre un "Hear Me" brutal limite étouffant qui ferait presque passer Strapping Young Lad pour de la pop/rock, suivi de "Why" plus balladesque (et sympa) que du Walt Disney. J'adore les 2 chansons ceci dit. :mad:
Par contre j'ai encore un peu de mal avec "Borderlands" qui semble aller euh... nulle part? Au bout d'un long moment on dirait que ça démarre, avant de finir d'un coup dans de l'ambiant, je n'ai pas trop compris. :scratch:
Le dernier titre de plus de 20 minutes divisé en 6 parties démarre très fort, épique comme une BO de film, mais je trouve qu'il s’essouffle sur la deuxième moitié dans des trips bruitistes tordus. Mais là encore je peux changer d'avis à chaque écoute... en tout cas pas de problème pour s'endormir maintenant après une écoute. :D
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Devin s'occupe en quarantaine :

Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Re: Devin Townsend - Empath

Message par Everflow »

Album live issu de cette tournée. La performance de "Genesis" est juste ENORME! Tous les détails sont repris sur scène.
Canadian singer, songwriter and producer Devin Townsend will release "Order Of Magnitude - Empath Live Volume 1" on October 23, a document of his winter 2019 European tour that saw him taking on possibly his most ambitious live show to date.

Today sees the launch of the first clip from the release, and you can watch Devin and the "Empath Volume 1" live band performing the track "Genesis" below.

Devin comments: "Here is the first song we've chosen to release from the upcoming DVD concert, 'Order Of Magnitude' which was the first volume of my 'Empath' touring band cycle.

"This particular band consisted of ten people onstage, all without click tracks or backing tracks, with the aim of reproducing my work in a new and creative way.

"A lot of what I've done in the past has been very structured, and the opportunity to interpret the music with high degrees of improvisation and flow was a fantastic experience.

"This song, 'Genesis', from my latest album, 'Empath', seemed an appropriate way to introduce this concert to the audience. It's kind of an example of 'musical anarchy' in some ways — as the song is all over the place structurally to begin with. But to have a chaotic piece of music played by these extraordinary musicians I had the honor of being with in a no-holds-barred production was really cathartic. It was about being free to do whatever we wanted in a time where rigid ideas of what is acceptable or not are stronger than ever.

"I hope you enjoy it. 'Volume 2' is next and is in a lot of ways the polar opposite to this, but on my journey of musical exploration, I am grateful for all of it, so thanks again for the support."

Recorded in December 2019 in London, U.K. on the penultimate night of the tour in support of his latest album "Empath", this run of shows saw Devin joined by an incredible lineup of musicians. The band was made up of guitarists Mike Kenneally (ex-FRANK ZAPPA) and Markus Reuter (STICK MEN, THE CRIMSON PROJECT), drummer Morgen Agren (KAIPA, MATS & MORGAN, FRANK ZAPPA), bassist Nathan Navarro, HAKEN keyboard player Diego Tejeida, and guitarist/vocalist Ché Aimee Dorval, as well as vocalists Samantha and Anne Preis and Arabella Packford.

Devin's plan for the "Empath" touring cycle was to divide it up into three "Volumes," and this was Volume 1. The idea behind the shows was a simple one: none of the backing tapes or click tracks that had long been necessary to bring the kaleidoscopic cacophony in his head and on his records to life in the flesh. This would just be Townsend and a band of genius-level musicians getting up there and trying to keep it from spinning off into outer space. Or maybe just letting it spin off into outer space for the sheer hell of it.

"The whole objective was that I wanted to make that statement: This is by the seat our pants," he says. "Because it's important to me to represent this hyper anal-retentive music that I've made over the years, but in a human way. Rather than it just being, 'Well, here it is, perfectly done.'

"I was overwhelmed by the fact that all these brilliant people that I have so much respect for were willing to come together and play this weird shit with me," says Devin. "I had these unique players and this interesting instrumentation that allowed us to interpret the music in different ways. It was clear to me that I could just have fun and be me and know that they would be effortlessly be able to follow that."

That sense of fun and freedom was evident to anyone who was there on the night. Visually, it was an assault on the senses in the best possible way. A digital screen projected vivid images throughout the show. A giant gleaming mirrorball hung from the ceiling. There were multiple costume changes and a tiki bar onstage (a tiki bar!).

"Order Of Magnitude - Empath Live Volume 1" will be released as a limited deluxe 2CD+Blu-ray+DVD artbook (including expanded artwork and photos), limited 2CD+DVD digipak, standalone Blu-ray, gatefold 3LP+2CD vinyl box-set and as a digital Album. The Blu-ray disc includes a bonus behind-the-scenes documentary, and both DVD and Blu-ray feature a 5.1 Surround Sound mix.

The track listing is as follows:

01. Borderlands
02. Evermore
03. War
04. Sprite
05. Gigpig Jam
06. Coast
07. Gato
08. Heavens End
09. Ain't Never Gonna Win
10. Deadhead
11. Why?
12. Lucky Animals
13. Castaway/Genesis
14. Spirits Will Collide
15. Disco Inferno
16. Kingdom

Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »

Faites claquer les chemises hawaïennes. Jolie version de ce classique de son répertoire.

Set
Metal Heart
Metal Heart

Message par Set »

:rock: !
Follow The Signs ...
Everflow
Enemy of Reality
Enemy of Reality

Message par Everflow »